It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:25 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Recommendations for 1st Gyuto
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:14 pm 

Hey everyone, hope you guys aren't tired of recommendation threads because here's another one.

Looks like I get a new knife for fathers day (or close to it). Time to get a link to the wife so I thought I would try out some Japanese steel.

I have an assortment of other knifes, mostly German and a couple of French knives. This one will be replacing a Henckels 8" Four Star that was the main workhorse. I thought about just getting another one since it has served it's purpose well, but since this will be a gift to me how about something more unique. I was also thinking about Global, Victorinox, or even Dexter-Russel but again since this will be a gift something more unique sounds like a better idea.

Here is the pre-req info.

1. Are you right handed? Right
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..) Gyuto
3. What size knife are you looking for? 8"ish
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel? Either one. I do have a couple Mora knifes that are carbon so I do know what I'd be getting into. Looks like that might bring the price down a bit as well?
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle? Western, I think. That is all I really know but I'm open to any option.
6. How much did you want to spend? 100$ish
7. Do you know how to sharpen? I can dabble but I would prefer not to have to baby it every week.

Here is a list that I came up with based on random browsing and some of the other similiar threads on here I reviewed. This is new water to me though so I'm sure I missed some great options.

Yamashin White #1 Gyuto 210mm
Zakuri Blue #1 Gyuto 210mm
Fujiwara Carbon Gyuto 210mm
Tojiro DP Gyuto 210mm
Kohetsu Blue #2 Gyuto 210mm

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Recommendations for 1st Gyuto
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:14 am 
Forum Moderator

IMO the Kohetsu Blue 2 will be the best performing knife of that group (if you keep it sharp ;-)). It's core carbon steel sharpens very easily and responds very well to stropping. I'd put the Tojiro DP second on your list. We use one at home, very nice knife. The Kohetsu should have better edge retention than the Tojiro.

Any of these will require some edge maintenance with occasional sharpenings/touch up to remain sharp. Stropping is a great way to extend time between touch ups on a water stone or two. Mark carries a number of stropping sets and products. In a pinch, people even strop on newspaper, or paper grocery bag or other materials on a dead flat surface like a countertop.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:28 am 

I agree with Steve out of those choices I go Kohetsu Blue #2, Yamashin White #1 (I like its profile but it is more reactive), and the Tojiro DP Gyuto 210mm.

Yeah you will need something to help keep your edge. Perhaps the Idahone ceramic rod and then like Steve said plenty of household stuff (old pair of jeans) can be used to strop.

Then at some point it will need a sharpening.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:47 am 

The Kohetsu B#2 all the way, certainly of you're going carbon. It's not an ornate knife but it is a killer deal if you understand how to own it, which you seem to. As a bonus, it's a fairly non-reactive carbon.

My second suggestion would be a Fujiwara FKM, the stainless version, but they're OOS. I don't like the Tojiro as much as the Fujiwara.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:24 pm 

I'm for the Kohetsu blue #2 for a first knife also. If you go for a lesser knife you get upgradeitis fairly quickly. With the Kohetsu or one of the stainless clad carbons the reactivity won't be a big deal and yet the ease of sharpening and the super sharp edges will keep him in awe for quite a while.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:48 pm 

Great! Thanks for the info everybody!

Looks like Kohetsu Blue #2 or the Tojiro DP is the one.

Now for the tough call. Get the Blue#2 only or a 2 piece Tojiro DP set since they are a bit cheaper. I was planning on $100ish.

I'm sure they're both great knifes so I wonder how much a difference I would notice between them.

Choices, choice, choices...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:59 pm 

They are very different. The Tojiro is a real workhorse of a knife. It's stainless and in a decent but relatively unexceptional VG-10 steel clad in another stainless.

I would not suggest the Kohetsu if you didn't already know and understand how carbon knives work. Since you do, it's an easy suggestion. The Kohetsu is a much thinner knife that should just fly through ingredients. It lacks the attractive polish of the Tojiro, but the steel is much better and the grind much thinner.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:07 pm 

I have the Tojiro DP and the Kohetsu Blue Super, though not the Kohetsu Blue #2. I also have a number of other knives in Blue #2. IHMO, the Kohetsu will be the better performing knife of the two. I would take one of those over two Tojiros.

Don't misread me. The Tojiro are awesome knives especially for someone transitioning from German to Japanese knives, but I see them as something of a gateway drug. I see no reason not to just skip ahead to meth :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:27 pm 

I have the tojiro DP and the kohetsu blue #2. And if I had to do it all over again I'd just go straight for the kohetsu blue #2 instead of starting with the tojiro DP which I outgrew after a few months and ended up buying a whole bunch more knives, I think 5 more or so till I got to the kohetsu blue 2 and I'm happy settling with this for a year or so before moving up again but aside from its plane jane aesthetics the kohetsu is a no compromise knife. It passes through food so much better and smoother than the tojiro even though they're both sharpened with the same progression. Get the kohetsu and pick up a cheap richmond artifex petty or paring knife in AEB-L instead of the tojiro set.

The tojiro wowed me when I first got it and I thought it was the sharpest thing ever, but I eventually got bored with it and frustrated that I could never get it as sharp as I wanted it to be. The kohetsu still wows me every time I use it and I've had it about the same amount of time it took me to outgrow the tojiro. The day I find the kohetsu blue 2 boring is the day I go shopping again but I suspect it'll be a ways off. So if I had to pick a knife for a newbie I'd say go for the kohetsu blue 2. You'll love how it cuts from day one, be shocked by the chips you put in it initially and quickly learn new knife skills to match the knife you have. Its very easy to sharpen so a beginner can feel like he's able to achieve a good edge instead of frustrating months trying to figure what they're doing wrong with a lesser knife. Its a laser, ie. thin so you'll have to be mindful of how you cut in order to not damage the edge but you have older german knives for the butternut squash and pumpkins. Look after the knife and you'll enjoy it for a long time improving your knife and sharpening skills along the way.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:15 pm 

My wife loves her $75 Artifex, I did thin it quite a bit behind the edge. They did a great job with the AEB-L in that knife.

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next