It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:05 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 5 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: 240mm Gyuto Recommendation?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:05 pm 

Hi,

I was wondering if you would be able to give me a few knife recommendations? I have been a long time reader on this forum but finally took the step to make an account and actually post here. Feeling a bit overwhelmed here by the sheer volume of choices out there and was hoping I could get some advice on things to look at/consider. Thanks!

My Situation
I recently bought a Global 8in Chef's Knife from Amazon and it's ok but to be honest, I'm fairly underwhelmed. The handle isn't really comfortable and, after trying 8in, I definitely want something with more length, probably 240mm (9.5in I believe). Additionally, I would like to pick up a petty knife (150mm) to go with it. My ideal knife set up is 240mm Chef's/Gyuto, 150mm Petty, Bread Knife and a Peeler. I'm a minimalist in nature and would rather have 1 or 2 really good knives than 10 sub-par one's.

About Me
-Left Handed, pinch grip mostly
-Home cook and growing kitchen knife enthusiast, have a soft spot for really well made things (shoes, clothing, pencils, knives etc...) and am willing to pay a bit more for them over something cheaper
-Have never sharpened before but am excited and willing to learn, recently picked up a combo 1000/6000 King Waterstone and a base to hold it.
-Not a fan of patina's from a visual perspective
-Very clean/neat and tidy individual (knives are NEVER left dirty, sitting out or wet)
-Use mostly food service type plastic boards since I can easily wash them in my sink (very hot soapy water), don't really want to deal with the added care of an end grain wood board plus counter space is a bit of an issue for me (single guy in a small 1 bed apt.)

The Knife
-240mm Chef's/Gyuto
-Budget is up to about $200 MAX but less would be better (want to get a 150mm Petty too)
-Left hand friendly
-If Carbon I will do everything to keep it from forming a patina, just not a fan of the look
-Not a Global
-Something I don't need to worry too much about chipping easily or getting damaged (no laser). That's not to say I'm hard on knives or that my technique is poor just that I would like something I have some confidence in that it can handle whatever normal chef's knife tasks I throw at it.

Post subject: Re: 240mm Gyuto Recommendation?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:18 pm 
Forum Moderator

So lefty friendly, Stainless, non laser, easy to sharpen, under $200?

The Artifex, Tojiro DP and Fujiwara FKM series are the 3 standard recommendations under $100. Kaneshige has a nice 240mm a $109. The Richmond Addict is nice and uses great steel, but some find they are fatter behind the edge and benefit from a thinning. But they make a nice workhorse type of knife with the thicker edge.

Kohetsu AS wa handle or Blue #2 Western handle would be other choices. These have a carbon core, but are clad in stainless.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:56 pm 
Forum Moderator

Three of my favorite Yo handles 240 Gyutos are the Fujwara FKM: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fufkmgy24.html, the Takayuki AEBL Grand Chef: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satagrch24gy.html, and the Masamoto VG: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/masamoto-chef-knife.html.

The Takayuki has the nicest steel of these 3, it's light, nimble, has very nice F&F and profile and grind.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:05 pm 

I would start with with this
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/topr2pcset.html

It gets you two of the four knives you are looking for. A bread knife can be added later. The Tojiros have decent fit and finish and are a good starting point and might be all you ever need. Want is another issue. You can add the pairing knife
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/todppakn90.html

This would take you to about $160. You could then add a combination stone such as
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kingcombostone.html

Kings are a good starting stone. Fairly soft, but you will be learning on them and they fit your budget. Murray Carter uses King stones and gets knives sharper than anyone else I know.

I would add a bread knife later if you need one. Your chef's knife might be all you need for baked goods.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:08 pm 

Just a brief comment, I specifically said 150mm Petty not Paring therefore that combo really isn't a good choice. It mention that length specifically in my first post.

Anyhow, the Artifax and Masamoto look promising as does the Fujiwara if I want to go way towards the lower end price wise in my budget. In doing a bit of reading there seems to be very positiive impressions of the Masamoto knive's overall especially this VG Gyuto.

I am also open to the ideal of a Japanese style handle, never used one before but would be willing to try or give it a shot baring it doesn't have any extra downside or maintenance. I don't want to have to oil or polish the wood....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:39 pm 

That Kaneshige 240mm is one of the best knives you will find for $110. Has a great grind and very good F&F. Surprised it's been able to fly under the radar like it has for so long.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:43 pm 

If your budget is up to $200, and you're a minimalist who is looking for a relatively small but functional set of knives, I'd recommend a knife at least near that limit. Yes, there are some good knives for less than or around $100, but you can something significantly better with your budget.

Sakai Takayuki AEB-L Grand Chef and Masamoto are solid recommendations.
There is also the Sakai Takayuki Hammered: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/sataha24chkn.html
and Sakai Takayuki Damascus with wa (Japanese) handle: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satadagy240.html

Hiromoto (Blue super steel clad in stainless) is another solid performer that's well respected: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/higykn24.html

and also Kikuichi Performance TKC has a great reputation http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ic24gy.html
That one is out of stock at the moment, and a bit over your budget, but close enough that I think it's worth considering.

Masakage Yuki is also out of stock and a bit over budget, but seems to be a well-liked knife, although Masakages don't seem to be as widely known for as long. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mayugy24.html

It's hard to say for sure, but my recommendation would be that you get something stainless, semi-stainless, or at least stainless clad if you don't care for patina. You can get rid of patina on an all-carbon blade, but why bother with that extra work when there are a lot of other good choices available?

Going from a yo (western) to wa handle doesn't seem to be a big deal for most people, so it probably wouldn't be for you. If you're unsure, I'd suggest you stay with a western handle. A wa handle might require occasional oiling, but this care is infrequent enough, and simple enough, that I don't think it should be a significant factor.

Your edge retention would improve by using a wooden board, but it's up to you to decide whether that tradeoff is worth the change, and whether your setting means you'd prefer more frequent edge care on your knives or care of your board. I personally don't think end grain boards require that much extra work (even less with edge grain), but moving a decent sized wooden board frequently is a valid concern if it makes cutting more of a chore.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

Solid advice from Todd.

FWIW, the Masamoto VG handles are POM composite - bulletproof and virtually maintenance free. The others will likely be black Pakka wood, a stabilized wood product - pretty low maintenance as well. The Wa handles will require occasional oiling w/mineral oil. An alternative is to sand the Wa handle and apply a few coats of something like Watco Danish Oil that will soak in a create more sealed wood handle.

Just to recap - the Masamoto is a little heavier, stiffer and more robust than the Takayuki Grand Chef. The Takayuki will have a more nimble feel and probably sharpen a bit more easily than the Masamoto VG. Personally, I'd take the Grand Chef over the Takayuki Hammered - I like the AEB-L Swedish steel in the Grand Chef over the VG-10 in the Hammered series.

The Takayuki Wa Hammered Damascus is a very nice Japanese handled knife also made of AEB-L stainless steel. It will be lighter than the Western handled Gyutos, with the balance point a little more blade forward due to the much lighter Wa handle.

You have a number of very nice options that meet your stated preferences/requirements.

In the long run, if you don't intend on collecting a bunch of knives, spending more on a nice Gyuto, which you will use for the majority of your tasks, is a proven approach that makes a lot of sense. I'd probably purchase a lower priced Petty to complete your 2 knife startup. The Fujiwara FKM 150mm Petty is a good knife at a great price: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fufkmpe15.html.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:29 pm 

I know a couple of people who love the Misono 440. A friend of mine swears by it and was sour when I didn't buy one recently (went with a blade that is slightly outside of your stated budget). Supposed to be pretty durable for it's profile thickness (2MM) and easy to maintain. Fit and finish is quality and I really like the geometry of the blade. Not positive, but I think the 240MM is around 7 ounces which I think is a great weight. Not too heavy, not too light. The price would be pretty close to the upper end of your range though

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:41 pm 

Oops, guess I should qualify that the Misono has a 70/30 grind. I know Korin can order lefty versions (assuming CKTG can as well) but that adds some extra cash to the cost and prob bumps it to $205.

Page 1 of 5 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next