It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:09 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Torn Between Two Lovers.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:28 pm 
Site Admin

Hi guys

I’m in the market for a gyuto and torn between two amazing looking and sounding knives and would like some help. Im torn between the Sukenari ZDP189 Damascus Gyuto 240mm & the Takayuki 240mm Damascus Wa-Gyuto. Both have endearing features but unless I could hold or use either, I’m left with your knowledgeable opinion to make a decision.

If you had to pick one, what would it be and why? Its my birthday in the coming weeks and I’ll make the purchase around then.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

Patrick

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Torn Between Two Lovers.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:42 pm 
Forum Moderator

Patrick, that is one tough call, dude! They're both great knives. In my mind, the biggest separator between the two might be the core steel. The ZDP189 will be much harder and much more wear resistant than the Ginsan in the Takayuki. If edge retention is a top criteria, the Sukenari will deliver that in spades. The tradeoff is sharpening a high wear resistance steel.

The Takayuki Ginsan steel, while still hard, will be a bit more forgiving than the ZDP189 in the Sukenari, and it will sharpen more easily.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:11 pm 

Uh, Steve, Isn't the Takayuki 240mm Damascus Wa-Gyuto AEB-L? :geek: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satadagy240.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:23 pm 
Forum Moderator

Pretty sure he's talking about the Mac-Daddy Takayuki: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/sata24wa.html. This would be more apples to apples w/the Sukenari.

To add for the OP - I've handled, but not really used the Sukenari beyond a couple of onions. It's beautifully done. I remember it going through the onions very nicely. The Takayuki I have not seen or handled, but Shaun's high praise tells you all you need to know about it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:26 pm 

Ah yes, the Mac-Daddy Takayuki, I believe your right, just ignore me. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:30 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'm definitely not always right - just ask my wife ;-).

So what do you think Jeff B.? Edge retention with a higher HRC, possibly more brittle, and harder to sharpen ZDP189 or more user friendly Ginsan steel?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:39 pm 

If this is a home use knife I'm going with the more friendly Ginsan. I just don't think the wear resistance and hardness of ZDP is needed in the home and I would prefer the ease of sharpening and more forgiving steel. Just one man's opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:22 pm 
Site Admin

I vote Sukenari but it's close. They're both super knives.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:49 am 

I considered both of these knives as well, but since mine is finding it's way into a working kitchen, I went with a carbon core instead. If it were me, and this isn't going to be a work knife, I'd have to flip a coin. My thought's were to also treat it to a custom handle, since you're already reaching pretty far up there as price goes. If it is going to be a work knife, and you are still looking this high, I'd start thinking about the 270mm Sukenari.

Now that I've been using my Aogami super 240mm gyuto for hours a day for a week, I can say I'm really glad I went carbon. .

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:21 am 

Hi Guys. Thanks for your input!

I'm a chef and generally have two sets of knives that I use. I have a substantial MAC collection that are my work horses in the kitchen. They get the job done and are pretty unassuming to keep greedy eyes off. I have a collection of Wa handled Japanese knives that I generally use between the home and work. Its depends where I'm working and jobs to be done but I just done trust my good knives in my current job. But anyway, I digress.

I was all set on the Takayuki 240mm Damascus Wa-Gyuto after watching Mr Knife Fanatics review and reading his comments but then stumbled upon the Sukenari recently. I've never seen a stainless clad Damascus with that hard a steel and mirror polish. Sounds to good to be true. I have no issue with sharpening my blades. I run my blades over 400, 1000, 3000, 5000 & 10000 Naniwa stones and a strop at least once a week so Im pretty adept at sharpening them.

Basically if I am going to spend $500 on a knife it has to have outstanding performance, will last and looks & feel the part. Whatever I go with it will be the crown in my collection.

I think I'm swaying towards the Sukenari....

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next