It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:58 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Stainless Damascus under $300
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:21 pm 

I was chatting with a buddy of mine about my new obsession with JK steel and so he asked me to recommend a stainless gyuto (don't know if he cares if it's 210/240) with damascus cladding under $300.

I recommended the Kurosaki Megumi (given my experience with the Shimo) and a Masakage Kiri. He doesn't sharpen and I don't think he takes his knives in too often either. I wanted to recommend some PM, but think it is out of his price point when it comes to PM damascus

Post subject: Re: Stainless Damascus under $300
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:01 pm 

Shun classic, or premier 8" or 10" is a good choice. I know people have it in for shun because it's not hip, like a single smith shop knife, or one that takes months to get because they only put out 50 knives a month, but I used a 10" Classic at home and work for a pretty long time, I think I got it right around the time the line became available, maybe 6 or 7 years ago. I only just switched up to an Aogami Super gyuto.

$300 leaves the door pretty wide open. Kikuichi has a stainless damascus, Mac, kurosaki has hammered and damascus.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:09 pm 

He's actually got a full block of Shun Classics and that's what he's upgrading from. Unfortunately, he didn't want carbon or carbon clad. Think his priorities are skewed a bit more towards the bling side of things vs. performance. After I shot him the links, he asked for some Western handle recommendations as well so I recommended Kikuichi Warikomi and Maruyoshi. That should be plenty of choice. I don't believe he's a particularly adept cook so didn't bother grilling him about pattern/geometry/edge profile questions. I think he just wants something that will feel a bit more special than his Shuns. The performance delta between Masakage or Kurosaki and Shun should be large enough for even him to get.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:20 pm 

Been using Global, Shun and Henckels for a long, long time, until I went on a JK binge recently. Even if he didn't have Shun, I don't think I could recommend the Classic line to him. Just haven't enjoyed mine at all. All the knives I bought recently are either carbon or performance oriented stainless/semi-stainless so really didn't have much to offer him in terms of an opinion on a blingy stainless. Went with the makers that I know from personal experience with other lines (Masakage, Kurosaki, Kikuichi etc.)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:21 pm 

All dull knives are equal. If he does not sharpen, and does not look at cooking as a particular hobby then any decorated blade would probably do. Miyabi, Shun Reserve, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:33 pm 

True. Told him if he gets anything other than the Masakage (maybe the Kurosaki if he carries his experience working for Masakage with him), he probably needs to take it in for a post-factory tune up. still, figured might try and point him in the right direction in the event he does decide to become more serious about his cooking/knife skills. At least he will have a knife that he won't outgrow. Also, I just don't like recommending something when there are better alternatives at his price point given his constraints.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:45 pm 

Currently OOS - Kikuichi Swedish Warikomi Damascus http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kiswwadagy21.html / http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kiswwadagy24.html

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:53 pm 

also oos, but worth the wait, shiro kamo, super awesome Damascus and pm steel under 300$

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:13 am 

Yeah, both those blades would have made the reco list, though his birthday is this week and plans on making it a present. No big deal though. Called him and got him off the bling kick.
Now have him choosing between a Kono HD in 240 and a Richmond Laser AEB-L 240. He does want to explore better knives it seems and while I don't own either of these, figure they will certainly be drastic upgrade/shift from what he is using now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:26 am 

I'd have to push him toward the Kono on that one just to experience the HD steel, one of the best I've ever used. Either knife would probably be the best he's ever used.

Page 1 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next