It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:07 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Kikuichi TKC or Akafusa PM
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:56 pm 

Hi guys,

Looking for a little help/insight. In the market for a new chef's/gyuto probably in the 240MM range. I'm right handed and only now learning to sharpen my own knives (live next to Korin in NYC though so access to top-grade sharpening isn't a problem). I would tend to prefer stainless, but a stainless clad carbon knife would be fine as well as I take care of my current stainless collection fairly meticulously. I'm a home cook and have been developing my skills for the past 10 years or so. I have a heavy (8.5 oz). 7.5in Global Sai and an 8 in Henckles international which I use for heavy duty work and a Shun double-wide santoku for larger veggies. Really looking for something to replace the Shun (not very satisified with the knife shape or edge retention) and that will complement my smaller/heavier chef's. I've found consistently that I need more chopping elevation out of my knives and would also like something that is a little more nimble with a lighter blade.
Based on my research, I've sort of homed in on the Kikuichi TKC and Akafusa PM, both 240MM. Any insight into significant differences between the two? Also, any thoughts on the new Echizen 1310 line of knives? I read somewhere that Saji is part of the consortium that produces them and has been promoting them heavily.
Last 2 question:
Given my need for a longer blade, should I be considering 270MM?
When do you expect to restock the Kikuichi?

Sorry for the long-winded post and very much appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,

Chip

Post subject: Re: Kikuichi TKC or Akafusa PM
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:22 pm 

Sorry, forgot to mention that my budget is <$500 and I prefer western handles to octagonal. I believe both the knives I mentioned have western grips. Also, completely open to other suggestions as this is really my first foray into higher quality Japanese steel.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:02 pm 
Forum Moderator

Your post has some conflict in it for me personally. I'm also a home cook, and therefore I care very little about edge retention so long as it holds an edge well enough. Obviously, that's like asking how big is a big rock.....but, the TKC certainly does hold an edge well enough for me....quite well in fact. Therefore, the one gleaming attribute of the Akifusa (edge retention) means nothing to me over a knife like the TKC.

All that mumbo jumbo out:

It's been some time since I've used an Akifusa.....but I recall it having a slightly thicker grind than the TKC. The TKC is not a laser, nor is a thick knife. For me, it's that perfect geometry for a "one size fits all" definition.

The Akifusa will be more difficult to sharpen.....it's PM steel will hold onto burrs more vigorously than the TKC and it will be harder to grind. This is reasonably minor in the grand scheme.....but when comparing the two, those are my thoughts no matter how trivial.

The profiles are pretty close, blade heights as well.

The TKC is not clad and is not a COMPLETELY stainless steel. It can dull a bit, but I've never encountered any rust or really much of any true patina. The Akifusa is more stainless and is clad.

At the end of the day, there is zero chance I'd ever pick the Akifusa over the TKC. The TKC has long been a favorite of mine and one of only very few non-custom gyuto's I've held on to.

270mm.....big knife for a home kitchen. I reach for one every now and again, but given the choice of only having either a 240 or 270....I'd pick the 240 every time.

Can't answer the stock question...sorry!! :)

I am really cautious of recommending knives I've worked on as I feel it's kind of tacky.....but:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/gowh1cu24gy.html

Very good knife, nice handle (If I do say so myself)....but it's carbon core, stainless clad. I really do like these knives and would highly recommend them based on the blade alone. That it has my handle work on it....well, that's the part I hate to recommend.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:22 pm 

Adam, thanks for the great feedback! As I'm just starting to sharpen myself, it definitely may make more sense to stay away from PM. And by the way, the handle on that goko is is beautiful. For a custom job, a damn good price too. I noticed the finish on the blade is a bit different than the standard goko. Aside from that, is the blade similar?

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:22 pm 
Forum Moderator

Answered via PM. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:48 pm 

Well, by virtue of inventory, my decision was made for me. The TKC is out of stock until September and Adam's last custom Goko went off the shelves hours before I was about to pull the trigger on it. Ended up ordering the Akifusa. As I was relatively torn even if with the other two in stock I'm still very happy with the decision. Adam was super helpful as were all the folks at CKTG throughout the process. Will update once I've put the knife through the paces a bit and hopefully there will be some more Marr custom's hitting the store that I can grab for my next purchase.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:11 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'm sure you'll love it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:08 pm 

Completely impulsive, but since the combined cost was still under my budget, bought a 210MM Kikuichi TKC along with the Haru/Akifusa 240MM. Very excited for both.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:22 pm 

Atta Boy!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:54 pm 

Ha! Well, I'm a fairly serious wine nut as well and my wife was banging on me to sell a few bottles. I told her I would part with some better bottles if I could spend ~10% of proceeds on upgrading my knives. Ended up selling 5 bottles of 2000 Haut Brion and 2 Bottles of 2010 Schrader. Some serious wine for serious knives I hope!

Page 1 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next