It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:58 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sakai Takayuki Damascus vs Tanaka Damascus
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:21 pm 

So I am looking to replace my global 8" chef knife with one of the following;Sakai Takayuki Damascus Wa-Gyuto 210mm or Tanaka Damascus Gyuto 210mm

Sakai
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satadagy210.html
Tanaka
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tanakagyuto2.html

I would like to know what people think about the geometry and the two type of metals.

What I am looking for is a knife I can use everyday almost all day at work. Which means it can't be brittle. I have a towel on me at all times so the rust is not a problem. Also I need the knife to stay sharp with heavy use for up to a month. That is like 20-23 shifts.

Post subject: Re: Sakai Takayuki Damascus vs Tanaka Damascus
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:54 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Artifex I have in AEB-L is nice and takes and holds a great edge. The Tanaka Kurouchi Nakiri I have in Blue #2 also takes and holds a very nice edge. The Tanaka may be a bit lighter/thinner, but Mark would have to comment about that since I don't have the 2 to compare. The Tanaka is out of stock as well. Both are good steels, one is stainless and the other is all carbon.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

Oh yeah, I'm looking at the Sakai for my brother and his wife in 210mm and the Tanaka for myself in 240mm :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:05 pm 

Any thought on the geometry of the knife. The Sakai seems to have a longer flat spot is this true?

How is the AEB-L on natural stone btw?

I have a Shobu Iromono from Bouku.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:10 pm 
Forum Moderator

I didn't notice any issues with the AEB-L on the few jnats that I have; it kinda acts/feels like good carbon steel.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:06 pm 
Site Admin

mark.l wrote:So I am looking to replace my global 8" chef knife with one of the following;Sakai Takayuki Damascus Wa-Gyuto 210mm or Tanaka Damascus Gyuto 210mm

Sakai
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satadagy210.html
Tanaka
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tanakagyuto2.html

I would like to know what people think about the geometry and the two type of metals.

What I am looking for is a knife I can use everyday almost all day at work. Which means it can't be brittle. I have a towel on me at all times so the rust is not a problem. Also I need the knife to stay sharp with heavy use for up to a month. That is like 20-23 shifts.

We just got these Takayuki Hammered Wa handled knives in and I think they're going to be a big hit. Good steel and really nice looking knives for the money. I've been using one for the past 2 weeks and they're really nice. I haven't sharpened it yet, only stropped it a few times.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]