It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:00 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Upgrading knives help
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:14 pm 

Hey there, new to these forums and am after some help upgrading from my Tojiro DP knives!

1. Are you right handed? Yes
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..) Gyuto and possibly a petty down the track
3. What size knife are you looking for? 210-240
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel? No prefference
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle? Japanese
6. How much did you want to spend? 150-300
7. Do you know how to sharpen? Yes

I am a professional chef so will be using the knife pretty much every day at work. Should I be worried about going for carbon in that in a busy environment sometimes it may be difficult to maintain cleanliness of the blade to avoid rust?

Thanks for all your help!

Post subject: Re: Upgrading knives help
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:23 pm 

Depending on how busy you get I'd go with stainless with your budget you can easily pick up a Kono HD2.
Which would be an extreme upgrade over the tojiro

It's stainless and a wonderful steel excellent edge holding and easy to shapren.
I own the 270 Kirksuke (sp) HD

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohdwa24.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:54 pm 
Forum Moderator

OJ - My first inclination is to go with full stainless or semi-stainless on this one. Nick's suggestion is a great one.

Depending on your size needs and budget, the Kanehiro Ginsan Wa 210 and 240 Gyutos are superb: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kagistkn.html. I have the 210 Gyuto for a video review and it's an extremely well made knife - my sample is about 214mm on the edge. These are stainless core/stainless clad.

If you go for the Konosuke that Nick mentioned, be sure to get the 240 version, the one he linked to. They run a bit short at around 235 and they're light. The 240 will feel more like a 210 to you.

The Kikuichi Swedish Warikomi Damascus Gyutos are extremely nice as well. Very thin, but confidence inspiring: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kikuichi1.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:57 pm 

I've had a chance to use that Kikuichi Swedish and it's a wonderful knife! You can go wrong with anything suggested so far.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:37 pm 

My 240 Kono barely hits 232.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:15 pm 

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Will take all your recommendations into consideration. Has anyone had experience with the Itto-Ryu Knives, specifically the hammered white #2? I haven't really been able to find much info/reviews on them and they look rather appealing to me. Yet again thanks in advance for any replies!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:59 pm 
Forum Moderator

OJ, read this: show-us-your-knives-t5328-110.html , scroll down a bit for Ryu feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:19 pm 

The Itto-Ryu hammered white #2 is a STEAL at it's present price!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:04 pm 
Site Admin

ojrobinson wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Will take all your recommendations into consideration. Has anyone had experience with the Itto-Ryu Knives, specifically the hammered white #2? I haven't really been able to find much info/reviews on them and they look rather appealing to me. Yet again thanks in advance for any replies!

My most recent batch of Itto Ryu's were more polished on the blades than the old ones that are pictured. It's a big improvement in finish and these are one of the better deals on the site. I like them a lot.

If you want to spend more there are good options above it. The Kohetsu AS might work well for you. It's more money than the Itto but it's excellent with great steel and heat treatment. It will hold an edge well for you and you're going to be using the hell out of it compared to most home users.

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:36 pm 

Hi-
I own an Itto Ryu 210 from this recent batch. As I mentioned in the thread Steve linked to, the Itto I have has a PERFECT grind with a very even blade road, great kasumi finish and a mirror polished zero-grind edge. My example has shown flawless food release and amazingly smooth cutting (dropping through hard carrots like warm butter). I think this can be attributed to the quality of the grind and the continuous distal taper that runs from the handle to the tip. I wish the handle was a little nicer, but it is by far the highest quality blade and best performer I have. Also, the profile seems to hit the sweet spot for all cutting styles. The weight falls somewhere in middleweight territory, but I find this to be a plus in allowing the blade to do all the work for me. How that weight would help or hurt after a long day in a pro environment I don't know...

Anyway, I have been so happy with the knife that I am thinking of adding the 240. Definitely one of the best values on the site.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]