It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:09 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Searching for the Missing Link
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:14 am 

I posted a question like this a while ago. Since I have made some acquisitions since then, I am soliciting the forum's opinion on what I could add to my collection that adds some versatility or function.

Simply put, If this is what you had, what do you think you still need?
Paring knife Miyabi Kudamono stainless
Petty Seto VG 10 damascus
Kobocho 120MM Kajihara Aogami #2
Kodeba Miyabi 5000S stainless
Deba Joyce Chen stainless
Honsuki Calphalon Katana VG 1
Veggie Cleaver Joyce Chen stainless
Santoku Chroma Haiku Damascus VG10
***Deba, Cleaver, and Santoku are very low usage knives.
Nikiri Kohetsu HAP 40
Suji Richmond AS 270MM
Laser Richmond 210MM AEB-L
Mino 180MM Swedish Steel Gyuto
Richmond Addict 240MM CPM 154
Goko White #1 240MM Gyuto
These are just the J knives, I also have quite a few Wearever Pro, and a couple of Messermeister San Moritz Elites.
For my bread knife I use either a Chefworks Ken Onion
OR an Ekco Arrowhead serrated slicer. For my needs that is plenty of bread knife.

So, is there a particular type of steel that is a "must try"
OR
A type of knife not listed above that is a "must try"
Let's get those brain cells working :roll:

Post subject: Re: Searching for the Missing Link
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:02 am 

I can't see many holes in your knife collection. In fact I think you have more gyutos than I would know what to do with! You say you don't want any more bread knife ability, but that's where you're most lacking. And for your standard reply: Mac Superior, Tojiro ITK, Artifex Bread knives. Maybe a longer petty, as well. This is as good a chance as any to buy a Konosuke HD2. A Western boning knife like the Artifex again would be necessary for me. I also don't see anything from American smiths. If you're just looking for a way to spend money, a Carter or a Marr is a good bet. Adam has a gorgeous petty knife in the classifieds right now, if I recall.

What about other kitchen impliments? Shears, garnishing tools, cutting board, plating spoons, that sort of thing? There's more to kitchens than knives alone. I realized with the college graduation question that I can run literally any budget right into the ground, so let's get rolling.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:22 am 

Besides an addiction counselor? (that's a joke) I don't see a Global on there. Maybe ask Mel for the right one... (another joke)
Talk to Magnus about a nice cabinet to put them in?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:32 am 

Maybe a dedicated boning knife. One with a little flex. I don't know your habits or how much you would use it. It could double as a fillet knife for smaller fish.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:43 am 

Also, hd steel is a must try. Everyone should have at least one kono.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:24 pm 

RedWattle wrote:Also, hd steel is a must try. Everyone should have at least one kono.

+1 Not just the steel, but the extremely reliable grinds/geometry.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:10 pm 

RedWattle wrote:Maybe a dedicated boning knife. One with a little flex. I don't know your habits or how much you would use it. It could double as a fillet knife for smaller fish.

I do have a Henckels Boning Knife
AND
a Wearever Pro boning knife
Both are stainless

I also have a old carbon steel fillet knife.

I also forgot to include:
I have a MAC 6 inch utility knife that can function as a fillet knife
and a MAC 9 inch chef knife that I use mainly as a slicer.

As a home cook I don't have much use for these types of knives.
We do cook a whole chicken maybe once a month. That Calphalon Katana Honsuki gets the job done.
Thanks for your input.

Last edited by phillysco on Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:17 pm 

Lepus wrote:I can't see many holes in your knife collection. In fact I think you have more gyutos than I would know what to do with! You say you don't want any more bread knife ability, but that's where you're most lacking. And for your standard reply: Mac Superior, Tojiro ITK, Artifex Bread knives. Maybe a longer petty, as well. This is as good a chance as any to buy a Konosuke HD2. A Western boning knife like the Artifex again would be necessary for me. I also don't see anything from American smiths. If you're just looking for a way to spend money, a Carter or a Marr is a good bet. Adam has a gorgeous petty knife in the classifieds right now, if I recall.

What about other kitchen impliments? Shears, garnishing tools, cutting board, plating spoons, that sort of thing? There's more to kitchens than knives alone. I realized with the college graduation question that I can run literally any budget right into the ground, so let's get rolling.

Thanks for your input Lepus.
Bread knife, I just don't use one often enough to justify putting any money into a better one, as a matter of fact I just sold my Katana bread knife, and the rest of them as well since I now have better quality ones that replaced them.

Boning knife: I did not mention I have a Henckels stainless boning knife, and a Wearever Pro boning knife in stainless. Again just being a home cook these get the job done for what limited use I have for them. e.g.(removing silver skin off pork loins)

Right now a Petty seems to be where I am leaning. The one I have my wife uses it more than I do. It's VG 10, which is OK steel for me. It was not expensive, so I can justify getting my self a better one.
I have looked at Adams petty knife, as well as the Kono HD petty and a few others, still kicking this one around.

Regarding kitchen implements: Ample amount of cutting boards, I am not in the trade so I have no use for garnishing tools. I have a good pair of made in Solingen Germany poultry shears, and plenty of serving utensils.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:10 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'd say you're pretty well set for knives - as far as function goes. If you want to expand your experience a bit, I agree that a Konosuke HD 240 Gyuto would be a nice addition.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

Some options:

A 210mm wa-petty. I've found to be about the most used knife I have besides a gyuto. Find a thin one......Kono HD or Suisin Inox Honyaki

Narrow profile gyuto ala the Masamoto KS wa gyuto's

A true laser 240mm gyuto......the Kono HD would be ideal as it gets you both a laser and a new steel to try

If not the Kono HD for a laser, find a different good tool steel knife. But, why.....just get the Kono HD. :)

I use my honesuki a lot.....find a nice carbon version.

The last option I'll propose is probably the route I'd take. Go high end. Kono Fujiyama, Fujiwara Teruyasu, true honyaki, etc.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next