It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:29 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Goko white #1 gyuto vs SAIUN Damascus Gyuto
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:26 am 

Hello, I'm new here and I have a question. :)

1. Are you right handed?
Yes
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..)
Gyuto
3. What size knife are you looking for?
200-250mm
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel?
Carbon I think, I want a knife that is easy to sharpen and gets really sharp (and stays it for a decent amount of time).
Atleast 5 days in a professional environment. (80 people per day)
It can lose 10-20% of it's initial edge in the first day but keep most of it till the end.
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle?
Japanese handle or western handle that is very rounded.(like this one:http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/SaiunDamascusSeries.html#Saiun)
6. How much did you want to spend?
Maximum 160 dollar.
7. Do you know how to sharpen?
Yes I do.

8. I think a want white steel or Aogami super steel since it get's sharp easily.
I looked around on the site but couldn't find anything better price/performance then the Goko White.
Do you guys know other knives I might have missed?
200-210mm is good if that will lower the price.

Post subject: Re: Goko white #1 gyuto vs SAIUN Damascus Gyuto
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:04 pm 

Have you seen this one?
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/yawh1gy21.html

I own the Goko in 240MM. It is right at your price point in 210MM
The Goko will be less work to get a screaming sharp edge on it.
If you read the reviews on the Yamashin, it might need thinning, and some other refinement
It has a Kurochi finish, some love it, some don't.
BUT, it is half the price of the Goko, which leaves room in your budget for an Idahone ceramic rod

The knife you reference (Saiun) is VG10, decent steel, but the edges can get chippy if not careful

The Goko is a real workhorse. There are reviews on it in the reviews section check them out.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:12 pm 

Goko W#1 is a nice knife. It is tall @ 240. I would be concerned about it going a whole week without a treatment. I would take it over some other knives though. The reviews will give you a good idea of the knife.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:49 am 

phillysco wrote:Have you seen this one?
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/yawh1gy21.html

I own the Goko in 240MM. It is right at your price point in 210MM
The Goko will be less work to get a screaming sharp edge on it.
If you read the reviews on the Yamashin, it might need thinning, and some other refinement
It has a Kurochi finish, some love it, some don't.
BUT, it is half the price of the Goko, which leaves room in your budget for an Idahone ceramic rod

The knife you reference (Saiun) is VG10, decent steel, but the edges can get chippy if not careful

The Goko is a real workhorse. There are reviews on it in the reviews section check them out.

I already have a ceramic rod and sharpening stones (1200 and 5k).
I see the Yamashin is thicker, I don't like the idea of having to thin the knife out from the start.
I don't mind paying more if the fit and finish or grind is better on the Goko.
I've seen the reviews :).
What I also would like to know is how different aoigami super is in comparison to white #1, which one holds a sharper edge and which one is easier to sharpen?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:50 am 

Dan_Crubenew wrote:Goko W#1 is a nice knife. It is tall @ 240. I would be concerned about it going a whole week without a treatment. I would take it over some other knives though. The reviews will give you a good idea of the knife.

That's why I'll take the 210mm version.
The knife will get wiped off after each use and I might even oil it if necessary.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:03 am 

White should be capable of a sharper edge but the aogami super won't need touched up as often. Trade offs. :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:08 am 

Panko wrote:White should be capable of a sharper edge but the aogami super won't need touched up as often. Trade offs. :)

Ahh, that's what I was looking for :)
But the difference between each is not that huge of a difference?
Are both the Goko and kohetsu strong enough to handle carots without chipping or other horrible failures?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:17 pm 

You would have to be a fairly experienced sharpener or doing a bit of volume to notice the difference in keenness or edge retention between White and Blue (Aogami) steels. Both are awesome.

Chipping is usually a problem with much harder/larger products like gourds, lobster, bone in meats, frozen foods, all of which should either be avoided or approached with extra caution with regard to technique.

The Kohetsu in 210mm is reported as being very thin. The 240mm is more a medium weight. The Goko feels beefier and more solid in my hand. That said I cut carrots all the time with both my 240mm Kohetsu and my Goko Wt#1, no problem. I would never use either on frozen foods and if I am cutting bone in meats, I work to sever at the joints, not through bone. I recently did a bunch of squash with the Kohetsu, I had no problem, but I did work slow and deliberately.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:27 pm 

cedarhouse wrote:You would have to be a fairly experienced sharpener or doing a bit of volume to notice the difference in keenness or edge retention between White and Blue (Aogami) steels. Both are awesome.

Chipping is usually a problem with much harder/larger products like gourds, lobster, bone in meats, frozen foods, all of which should either be avoided or approached with extra caution with regard to technique.

The Kohetsu in 210mm is reported as being very thin. The 240mm is more a medium weight. The Goko feels beefier and more solid in my hand. That said I cut carrots all the time with both my 240mm Kohetsu and my Goko Wt#1, no problem. I would never use either on frozen foods and if I am cutting bone in meats, I work to sever at the joints, not through bone. I recently did a bunch of squash with the Kohetsu, I had no problem, but I did work slow and deliberately.

I'm not that experienced. :(
I won't cut any frozen things or bones, mostly vegetables (and fruit) and a little steak here and there.
Hardest ingredient i'll cut is a carot, judging from the comments that shouldn't be a problem at all.
Since you have both, which one sharpens faster and get's sharp easier? :)
Which one do you use more?
I find a hard decision since the kohetsu looks a bit better, but I think the goko is sharper OOTB and is easier to sharpen.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:56 pm 
Forum Moderator

White steel, no matter the variant, is always easier to sharpen than any of the blue's given a proper heat treat of both....at least in my world. The alloying of the blue steel's make it slightly tougher to properly sharpen. That said, the differences are so minute I'd pick based on some other criteria LONG before I picked based on the use of white or blue steel.

The Goko white #1 wa is a fantastic workhorse knife. The Kohetsu 210mm is a true laser.....very thin. As I stated above, I would pick based on the profile, geometry, etc. before deciding based on the fact that one uses AS and the other white #1.

BTW, sharpness OOTB would be a lot further down my decision list than any other criteria talked about here. :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next