It is currently Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:35 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Narrowed down to three, could use some help
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:34 pm 

I posted last month asking for help as a new buyer of quality gyutos and got some excellent recs. In combination with those and some further persual of the forums I've narrowed it down to:

Kurosake AS http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kuasku24gy.html
Masakage Shimo http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mashgy24.html
Kurosake Megumi http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kumegy24.html

These knives have been talked about quite a bit in other threads so I'm hoping to avoid any retreads. From the video review it appears the kurouchi finish on the AS may cause food to stick - has that been the experience of others? I really appreciate minimal sticking, which is why the Megumi (on top of its sex appeal) is calling to me, but I've been feeling a strong pull for carbon since I began researching. Any thoughts on whether the shimo will be more nonstick than the AS or as nonstick as the Megumi?

I'm also curious how the shimo will patina over time. One commenter in another thread said that the patina accentuates the beautiful pattern on the blade - have others found that to be true, either for this knife or others with similar finish?

Finally, versatility is a big desire for me. The AS and Megumi strike me as the most versatile - would one be more an all-arounder than the other? I'm aware that the Shimo is thinner - would that make it more susceptible to be damaged or less of a performer when cutting through something as tough as a gourd?

I'd also be curious to hear any general thoughts/impressions/preferences among the three.

Many thanks! On a side note, I'm very appreciative of not only the wisdom imparted here but the patience with which it is shared. I don't think I've read one dismissive, derogatory, or otherwise negative comment towards a noob like myself, and it's a breath of fresh air.

Post subject: Re: Narrowed down to three, could use some help
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:05 am 

All of your selections are by the same smith, so they should exhibit similar quality, I have the AS and it is a good knife, not particularly sticky on the KU, and in fact, the well done grind releases most foods easily. The Shimo line is high on my list to acquire, but as yet I have no hands on experience. If the other Masakage lines are any indicator though, the quality will be top of the line. With the reactivity, most of the "issue" will be presented by the Iron cladding, not the core steel. Just practice good habits and everything will take care of itself.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:11 am 
Forum Moderator

I wouldn't worry too much about the Kurosaki AS blade finish. It does create a little more friction when cutting, but that should lessen over time as you use and clean the knife. You can always try polishing the blade road a bit using various methods to help minimize this characteristic.

That's a great list. The Kurosaki's will easier to maintain, as the Shimo has a reactive cladding and core. Check the videos on the Kurosaki's and carefully compare the edge profiles to see which might suit you the best. If you like to rock cut, the Megumi might be your best bet.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:45 am 

I can't say about the other two but I own the masakage shimo and it's the best knife I've used after the kikuichi tkc. As it being my first carbon knife I was not careful enough about wiping and it rusted a bit in the saya after only 20 minutes. Don't be too worried because while your learning to adjust your habits and developing a patina, if it ever rusts just wipe it clean maybe coat it with oil and put it away. Then when you can, scrub it with scotchbrite and baking soda and it should come right off. Overall it's pretty reactive but the patina it's better and it looks even cooler with the patina. Hope this helped

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:54 am 

My appreciation of the Shimo is well documented and having not used the other two knives will refrain from any speculative comparison. To answer your question about patina, I do not find the patina on the Shimo to enhance the beauty at all. It is one of the most gorgeous knives OOTB I've seen. It is massively reactive however. When I say reactive, I don't mean that it forms a patina quickly (which it does). I mean that it will throw off odor and discolor certain ingredients at first. I attribute this to the exposed/matte iron damascus. It will need breaking in, but that shouldn't be too much of a big deal. If you clean it with some Wrights, Fitz, Korin clothes w/oil etc. after use and oil it, both the reactivity and patina formation should subside over time.
All that said, there is a whole lot to like about this blade, including a very nice rendition of W2 steel.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:39 pm 

Here is a pic of my 240mm Shimo....about 2 years old and sees moderate home use. The patina does change from time to time depending on amount of use and ingredients processed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:37 am 

Thanks for the help all. I was going to move on the Kurosaki AS but ultimately made a pivot and moved on the Yoshimune White #2: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/yowh1gy24.html. From what I've read white #2 might be a better steel for my purposes than the AS, and I ultimately decided I wanted the more rustic aesthetic that the kurouchi finish offers. The profile looks a little flatter than what I was originally looking for but the recent FB update on the site's page talking about the great grind convinced me to give it a go.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:28 am 

Nice pick man. I'm jealous! White #2 is my favorite steel, and that knife is sexy. Enjoy your new blade.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]