It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:52 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Gyuto Eye candy
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:31 pm 

I am looking for a 210 Gyuto that is Damascus clad with a carbon core. I am dizzy looking at all of the fabulous knives and probably like many of you, my wife thinks I’m nuts. I am happy to say “Yes I am!” :D
1. Are you right handed? no
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..) -Gyuto
3. What size knife are you looking for? 210
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel? Stainless over carbon
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle? Wa - eventually a Matt Delossa -wow
6. How much did you want to spend? $250-400
7. Do you know how to sharpen? Just learning but very capable

I am not a professional chef, just a home cook who takes pride in what I have and what I produce in a kitchen. I respect quality and have absolutely fallen in love with the Damascus and/or hammered knives. I love the eye candy aspect but live in a very humid area of the country so all carbon is not an option for me but I still want the performance.

Help

Post subject: Re: Gyuto Eye candy
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:47 pm 

I'm not sure what the cladding is on these guys, but if I were looking for a damascus knife, the new Kurosaki knives would be near the top of my list at the price point: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kumegy21.html#.U7BCXPnIY2U

I own a Masakage Shimo, which is made by Kurosaki and it is a seriously good blade. Profile on his line of knives looks pretty similar to the Shimo and I'm guessing grind is probably dead close as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:57 pm 

You will have better luck finding a tsuchime/nashiji stainless-over-carbon knife. A lot of the damascus ones that come to mind are full carbon (Masakage Shimo, Kajiwara) or full stainless (Masakage Kiri, Takayuki Damascus). The one exception that comes to mind for me is the Anryu Suminagashi (currently out of stock). It is white #2 with a combination damascus cladding and kurouchi finish which is apparently stainless (see the video for the nakiri).

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kaankusugy21.html

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:41 pm 

An excellent and maybe the best hammered stainless clad over carbon, Anryu Hammered Gyuto 210mm http://www.chefknivestogo.com/anhagy21. ... 7BrYbGmVfA
All the Damascus I know of are all stainless or all carbon.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:10 pm 

Thanks to all, so let me then shift gears and look at all Stainless. Am I losing anything by going all stainless?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:20 pm 

The Takayuki Damascus Wa-Gyuto 210mm http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satadagy2 ... 7Bz67GmVfA will probably be your best bet there. It is AEB-l steel which is easy to sharpen and holds a pretty keen edge. The closest stainless with carbon qualities.
The biggest thing you lose going with stainless is mostly edge holding ability but shouldn't be much a difference for a home cook.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:27 pm 

This Kikuichi is currently out of stock, but also AEB-L and reputed to be very good for a laser-type knife: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kiswwadagy21.html
(I own a very similar Goko in 19C27, and if the Kikuichi is as good or better as I assume it is then it would be a great choice if you want thin.)

Other options I haven't used but that come to mind include:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kiri2.html
And if you wanted to break the bank by $50, Takayuki has another line:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satadawagy21.html

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:50 pm 

I really liked everything about the Takayuki except for the edge profile, but that is a personal preference issue and nothing to do with the quality of the knife. I know Steve (the man behind the quick looks), who has probably had the opportunity to handle more knives than anyone else on the forum, thinks very highly of it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:54 pm 

Have you considered going outright custom for this? One type of damascus (well, technically patterned steel) that has been getting very popular as of late is Damasteel. The reason is that it is actually a stainless steel with excellent corrosion resistance, fantastic toughness, very good edge retention, and the ability to take to high-hardness. The primary steel used on it is RWL-34 (and secondary is PMC27 IIRC), which is a premium steel used on many custom knives and despite being stainless damascus, it has excellent wear resistance, excellent toughness, and isn't all that difficult to sharpen. Some makers are using this and while I have not used it on a kitchen knife, I believe it has the performance to make is an excellent candidate. And the patterns on it are super visible and CRAZY PRETTY! Additionally, you can find makers using everything from Devin Thomas to Chad Nichols to in-house produced damascus, and with shapes, sizes, and handles that are 100% to your spec, and some of which you can even pick what steel is used.

Another option is finding a damascus blade and getting a custom handle made that brings out the damascus patterns while simultaneously being a handle in a fashion, style, and design that is 100% you. I've noticed the site has a variety of gyuto models from various popular makers in which you can purchase without a handle, and some of the designs were hammered and/or damascus. I think the people who go this route wind up with knives that are very cosmetically appealing, have a cool customized aspect, and are very functional!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:55 pm 

Oh I forgot to mention...many people who do things like custom handles also offer features like customized regrinds to suit user preferences. So if you find a base model you want but are not in love with the current grind, that may be an option as well.

Page 1 of 3 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next