It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:00 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Yasuki Silver 3 Steel
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:53 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

I am interested by your Sakai Takayuki Shiden 300mm Yanagi Sashimi.

However, I hesitate to proceed with a purchase because of the lack of information on the Web concerning the properties of the Yasuki Silver 3 steel.
I would appreciate it if you would provide me with information concerning this knife (sharpness attainable, ease of sharpening, edge retention, etc.)

Thanks.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Yasuki Silver 3 Steel
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:37 pm 

Yasuki is simply a plant Hitachi owns so you can ignore that part.
Silver 3=Ginsan(ko) it's a nice stainless.

Adam Marr wrote:Ginsanko is a Hitachi stainless steel similar to 19C27 used in the Suisin Inox Honyaki knives:

19c27(no range/tolerance info)
C=.95
Mn=.65
Si=.40
Cr=13.50

Ginsanko
C=.95~1.10
Mn=.60~1.00
Si=~.35
Cr=13.0~14.5

From personal usage alone I would have said Ginsan takes edge refinement better, but that must have been a difference in heat treat. After all the numbers don't lie ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:20 am 

Agree with mark. I just played with one of his knives in Ginsan steel, it was very nice. Try googling Ginsan/Ginsanko see if that give you the info you want.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:58 am 
Site Admin

Yes silver 3 was Hitachi's answer to some of the popular Swedish steels that were being used by knife makers in Japan. It's good stuff, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a knife that uses it. Edge retention depends on how the heat treat the steel but it's usually pretty good in the 61-63 rockwell range.

The smiths that make the Shiden are all top shelf artisans in Sakai and they're really excellent knives. They're similar in qualty with the Doi line and Tamashii line on our site with much nicer handles.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:54 am 

I think something in G3 will be my next knife. I love my carbons but I like trying new flavors. Will be hard to beat a couple of my AEB-Ls though.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, Ginsanko is a very nice steel and if I wanted a stainless steel knife I wouldn't hesitate to buy a knife that uses it.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

@Jeff B. - If you're happy with the AEB-L knives, I don't know if getting something specifically just for Ginsan steel would pay off. Unless you find a really interesting knife that just happens to have a Ginsan core :-).

If you want to try G3 in something less expensive, the Tanaka Ginsan Gyuto's are nicely ground, albeit with a lot of work needed to finish the spine/choil/neck. I've harped on this point quite a bit, but with some sweat equity, they can turn into a nice looking, nice performing, AND comfortable knife.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]