It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:08 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Looking for a Laser
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:00 pm 

I'm looking for a laser style gyuto, are there any other brands you would recommend besides richmond or konosuke?

Post subject: Re: Looking for a Laser
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:31 pm 

Half of the ones you mentioned aren't sold on chef knives to go. Really would prefer to buy something from Mark as opposed to someone else. I also forgot to mention that I need one thats SS clad, being that it will primarily be a work knife.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

Most Laser class knives are Mono steel. Kono HD2 or HH would probably be your best bet, or the AEB-L Laser. The AS Laser is a bit thicker/heavier than most Laser class knives, but performs well as does the Tanaka Blue #2; they are like a laser behind the edge, but thicker/heavier towards the spine, which makes for a great all around knife. There is also the Sakai Takayuki and Goko Damascus series, the Kikuichi Swedish Damascus series, Addict SLD by Kono, Kikuichi TKC, etc for knives that most would consider in the Laser class.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:53 pm 

Clad lasers? You arent going to find many of those.

Maybe check out Kohetsu Hap40, Takamura R-2, or Kikuichi Warikomi Damascus. From the choil shots that have been posted, these knives arent as thin @the edge as the monosteel lasers mentioned above. But for a SS clad laser from CKtG, those are your only options.

Mowgs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:57 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Kohetsu 210mm are lasers, the 240mm are a bit beefier, so not really a laser class knife, more of a middleweight IMHO. I have one here that the owner wants even thinner!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:00 pm 
Forum Moderator

I second the Kikuichi Swedish Warikomi Damascus Gyutos. They are quite thin. Depending on your budget, let's not forget the Suisin Inox Honyaki knives :-). The Sakai Takayuki Wa Grand Chef Gyutos are definitely laser geometry, but I like the Kono HD/HH better.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:04 pm 
Forum Moderator

Sakai Takayuki knives I have seen tend to be on the soft side, which makes for a tougher edge, but edge holding may not be up to what people expect. Forgot about the Suisin Inox stuff!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:39 pm 

@Steve - *Face Palm!* DOH! How could we forget about the original laser, the Suisin IH!

I was not impressed much by the Sakai Takayuki Grand Cheffs i was able to handle. Pretty middle of the road.

With the Kohetsu AS at the same price, and the Richmond AEB-L laser not too much more expensive, there NO reason anyone should get a Takayuki Grand Cheff any more. Obsolete Technology.

Mowgs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:11 pm 

Just get the Kono HD2 and never look back. Great steel, great grind, great profile, what more do you need.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:26 pm 

Yea i think the hd2 is my best bet....now just have to wait until they get them in stock. Thanks for all the info guys

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next