It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:19 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 4 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: My carbon steel knife smells.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:29 pm 
Site Admin

Dear Mr Richmond,
First, I would like to thank you for the good service after ordering the knife; it arrived in great shape.
I am sorry to have to admit that am quite disappointed in the knife itself. Now, I have been warned for discoloration of the blade. It being carbon, I knew what to expect, and I really do mot mind a little character/patina so to speak. Nothing prepared me however for the extremely bad smell it releases when cutting almost any type of food.
I have tried many ways to stop the smell, but even wiping the blade after literally every single cut does not prevent the stench, for it starts as soon as you start cutting.
I really do admire this knife as a work of art, but it has no use in the kitchen except for the odd vegetable or protein that does not react with the steel.
I really want to like the knife, but so far it has been a (big) waste of money, and I must admit it feels like I have been “tricked”. This negative attribute does not get mentioned anywhere. Preparing food is about taste and smell. A sharp knife increases ones pleasure on cooking, but a bad sulfuric smell decreases ones pleasure even more rapidly.
Because my activities to get rid of the smell have also rendered the knife more or less unreturnable, I am not looking for a refund. I feel I have to post this information as a review, but I wanted to give you the opportunity to comment on this issue first. Secretly I am hoping you will provide me with a solution so I can continue cutting with an otherwise great knife. I would like to stress that your solution of wiping the blade with a damp and a dry cloth does nothing in that respect; the re-activity is just too great.
Best regards,
Raoul

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: My carbon steel knife smells.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:31 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Raoul,

Don't worry, it's normal and it will go away as you use the knife. As patina forms on the blade it will almost completely stop.

Why don't you try forcing a patina on the knife? It will provide a protective layer between you and the food you are cutting and will stop the reactivity. It's easy to do. Watch my instructional video using mustard.

Let me know if this works. The more black patina you get on the knife the better it will work and it looks good too.

If you still don't like the knife you can mail it back and I'll refund you for the price of the knife even if it's used. Ok?

Kind Regards,
Mark Richmond

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:47 pm 

Hi Raoul

Which knife did you get? I have several carbon knives and did not force a patina on them and have not noticed any discoloration or smell.
I have cut veggies, meat, poultry and fish

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:51 pm 
Site Admin

I think it was a konosuke white #1 fujiyama gyuto.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:01 pm 

Can't wait to get my kono and put a patina on it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:06 pm 
Site Admin

It's funny how people perceive things completely differently. I got off the phone about an hour ago with a guy that bought this exact same knife and thought it was the best knife on the planet. :)

He wrote this review of the knife: konosuke-fujiyama-240-white-1-guyoto-review-t6321.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:59 pm 

Thank you for the swift response and offer; I cannot imagine better customer support than this.

I have in fact forced a (mustard) patina (see picture), but it did not seem to help much and I removed it again. Perhaps I should be more patient. I will give it another try and post an update on my findings. That seems fair to me.

As for the glowing reviews of this knife; they are all true when it comes to sharpness, edge retention, blade profile, ease of sharpening etc! It really amazes me though that there is not a single mention of this smell; if this is about perception this is really something that cannot not be perceived. Perhaps I should take a picture of it.. oh wait..

Hope you enjoy the picture, and thanks for the feedback.

Regards,

Raoul

Attachments:
File comment: Mustard patina Konosuke gyuto
2014_0323_16030600 klein.jpg [66.94 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:21 pm 
Forum Moderator

Ralesi - I've heard of people soaking the blade in a vinegar solution for a while to help lower the reactivity of the entire blade a bit - the blade will turn more of a gunmetal grey. In addition to whatever patina treatment you give the blade, I'd try also just using it for a while - it should settle down for you.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:30 pm 

The smell will become less noticeable when the knife has patina. But I wouldn't worry too much...Most of the smell is cooked off if the food is to be cooked. Sometimes raw veggies can be affected but once the patina has developed it should improve a bit. There will always be a slight smell if you decide to sniff the blade. Try to ignore it and enjoy the blade.

You can always try to trade the knife for a high end steel knife of equal value with a fellow forum member.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:37 pm 

Thank you for the suggestion. I already tried the vinegar; it did not make a difference, although the etching process beautifully revealed the forging layers. It does not feel right though, having to take these actions just to make a knife enjoyable, so to speak.

For your information (and others); recent "problem vegetables" have been tomatoes, onions, cucumber and even potatoes. Proteins do promote discoloration, but don't give off a bad smell.

I don't really worry about the smell transferring to the food, it's just that I lose my appetite. :-/

I will let the patina develop and keep you guys posted. If it stays this way, I will indeed consider trading (in) my knife.

Page 1 of 4 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next