It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:25 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Steak Knife Suggestion
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:53 am 

I am looking for some steak knives and noticed the HAP40 Petty 120 post on the General Discussion Board.

Link to knife http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohape12.html

I like the look and lines of the knife, however I have no hands on experience with the performance characteristics of HAP 40.

What is everyone's opinion regarding this knife being used as a steak knife? Will it be too flexible? fragile?

Will it be non-reactive enough?

One thing for sure, I will need to get wood steak plates, but that will be the topic of another post.

Would I be better served sticking with a Hankotsu

I am open to other Petty suggestions, as well as, suggestions in general regarding steak knives. I am even debating whether my steak knives should be matching or have some fun by mixing it up and having several makers represented.

Mike

Post subject: Re: Steak Knife Suggestion
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:35 pm 

It's fun to mix them up and it's good for conversation if you have guests. I've no experience with hap 40 so I'll let others comment on that.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:09 pm 

FWIW, this thread might give some ideas too:

good-steak-knives-t6051.html

I think the upshot is look at Hankotsus too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:15 am 

Cedarhouse

I read that thread, there is some good information in it.

The hankotsu appears tobe the more recommended knife design to be used as a steak knife. I was just hoping to hear some positives about the use of a petty instead.

Hankotsu do not have as wide a selection as Pettys, nor do I like the design as much.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:34 am 

ScarymanMB wrote:I am looking for some steak knives and noticed the HAP40 Petty 120 post on the General Discussion Board.

Link to knife http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohape12.html

I like the look and lines of the knife, however I have no hands on experience with the performance characteristics of HAP 40.

What is everyone's opinion regarding this knife being used as a steak knife? Will it be too flexible? fragile?

Will it be non-reactive enough?

One thing for sure, I will need to get wood steak plates, but that will be the topic of another post.

Would I be better served sticking with a Hankotsu

I am open to other Petty suggestions, as well as, suggestions in general regarding steak knives. I am even debating whether my steak knives should be matching or have some fun by mixing it up and having several makers represented.

Mike

I think the Hap40 120 petty would make a great steak knife. I own the 210 Gyuto Hap40 in this line and edge retention and performance is phenomenal. You mentioned getting wood steak plates, that would be a great idea, as regular glass kitchen plates will dull a knifes edge very fast. As far as reactivity This line of knives is stainless clad and only the edge of the blade that is exposed will be reactive, and I find that to be not very reactive. As far as being tough enough, I would think it would be fine, I've been using a cheaper 120 Petty for a steak knife for quite a while and it's been fine. The next Petty I pick up will be a 135, I like my 120mm steak knife, but I would like to try just a little larger, and I find my 150mm pettys to big for my personal taste.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:34 pm 

Warther knives makes some traditional steak knives in S35V. They are not expensive, but I haven't actually used their steak knife. I got a 7" slicer that looked like a nice boning knife or small carver. There are some gaps between the scales and the blade in front ...I filled them with superglue, but epoxy would be better.
They come in two sizes and are only available at the Warther website.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:01 pm 
Forum Moderator

The problem with every petty used as a steak knife is the handle size. It's just...well, wrong. They work, but they just don't feel right.

The Warthers are a good option. I once had a Warther steak knife set in for a rehandle project. They were okay for what they were, but F&F wasn't great, and the grinds were good only for steak knives.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:16 pm 

I make people use various pairing knives I have laying around...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:45 pm 

Adam Marr wrote:The problem with every petty used as a steak knife is the handle size. It's just...well, wrong. They work, but they just don't feel right.

The Warthers are a good option. I once had a Warther steak knife set in for a rehandle project. They were okay for what they were, but F&F wasn't great, and the grinds were good only for steak knives.

Adam, do you feel this applies to western handled petty's like the HAP40 also?

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohape12.html

Thanks for your feedback

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:51 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yes, I do although I've not tried that particular petty.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next