It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:36 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Yuki 270mm
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:34 am 

So while the Konosuke's are still OOS, I've been considering the Yuki 270mm. I'm thinking this length because I currently use a Kohetsu 270mm.

Hows the reactivity on this knife? I have the yuki honesuki,but poultry juice doesn't really seem to have patina-ed it. I recently took over the AM pantry role in my kitchen and cut a lot of fruit, veg, lettuce, and am constantly in and around water. The AS is holding up well, but it has a patina on it already from prior use on the pm line.

Knife Experience:
150mm Hiromoto petty
9" New West Knife Works Chef's
270mm Kohetsu AS Gyuto
150mm Masakage Yuki Honesuki
8 and 10" Wusthof Classics
Crappy Mercer culinary school knives

Post subject: Re: Yuki 270mm
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 2:24 am 

I have not used the Yuki myself, and I am a home cook, not a pro, but I think you would find it is about as reactive as the Kohetsu. The Yuki's white #2 core and marginally softer steel might be slightly more reactive than the Kohetsu's AS. I have had not problems with either my Kohetsu or my Goko White #1. Both the Yuki and Kohetsu are stainless clad too so only a small amount of exposed core is reactive.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

Pink - I don't think the Yuki White #2 is especially reactive. AS might be a little less reactive, given it's additional alloys. The Kohetsu AS 270 is quite light and nimble for a 270. I would guess the Yuki 270 will feel heavier w/more weight forward balance point. If you're OK with a little heavier knife the Yuki's are great performers, very thin at the edge. If you don't want a heavier 270, you might want to try the Yuki 240 version, unless you have really taken a liking to the longer, flatter profile of a 270.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:06 pm 
Forum Moderator

7892 <> They are not atypically reactive W#2. Inline with a Konosuke W#2, slightly more reactive then the atypically slowly reacting MasamotoKS W#2. It will be slightly more reactive than the Kohetsu AS, but as it's stainless-clad, you don't have much exposed steel to concern yourself with here anyway.

And their double-bevel Yuki gyuto is stupid thin on the edge:

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]