It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:20 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Kono HD question
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:06 pm 

Hi, my cousin is on here and suggested I post a question I had to see if anyone could help.

I have a Konosuke HD2 240 gyuto. I love it. So does my dad. He wants one and has a birthday coming up. Problem is that he says the 240 feels too small. So I looked at the 270mm and I think it will just be too big for him (he won't use my 270mm gyuto). From measuring my 240, it is a bit short of 240. So I am wondering if anyone knows of a similar knife/steel that might be a true 240mm, or maybe a short 270mm? He's fine with a ceramic rod or strop, but will need to come to me when it needs work on the natural stones - not a problem since we live close. He really is quite fond of whatever steel is in the HD2, so that is kinda my focus with this search.

1. Are you right handed? right
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..) gyuto - see above
3. What size knife are you looking for? - 240mm to 270mm - see above
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel? semi-stainless? see above
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle? wa
6. How much did you want to spend? $300 or less
7. Do you know how to sharpen? Yes

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Kono HD question
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:07 pm 

This knife is also a semi-stainless steel that is well reviewed, however it is a western handled knife. According to the product page specs, the knife is 240mm on the edge. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ic24gy.html

I have this guy and it is made by Konosuke using a semi-stainless tool steel and I have been really impressed by mine. However, I do not know if they will be comming back into stock, they may have been a limited run. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/koadhd24wa.html

Other steels that might preform like the HD steel that you could look at are AEB-L or Ginsan steel. That said, steel is not the only consideration. Few manufacturers are going to have the incredible grind of the Konosuke.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:31 pm 
Forum Moderator

Do you think that he feels it's too small because it's so light or truly because of the 230-ish length?

There aren't many knives like that Kono. The Suisin Inox Honyaki is similar and highly regarded also, but the 240 is also undersized, plus they're more expensive than the Kono.

Do you think something just a bit heavier would be good as well for your dad?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:06 am 

SteveG, good point. It might be the weight. Never thought of that. If so, I was thinking something heavier in Ginsan might do the trick. Specifically the Kanehiro. From the threads I read searching that maker, it seems like a very good knife.

Another question - performance, grinds and finishes, how do the HD2 and HH compare. I ask because I have some wa handles i made and notice the HH Gyuto in 240 is available handleless for a fair amount less than the HD2. If they are similar, I can limit my cost exposure and give him a custom homemade handle which I know he would appreciate.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:29 am 

Cedar house, the link to the Richmond SLD shows that they are in stock, or am I mistaken? Since it may be a contender, how do the grinds and finish compare to the HD2. I do note that it is rather tall for a 240mm gyuto, but I don't think that is a deal breaker.

I forgot to mention that my dad's current knife is a 9-10" old French carbon. Not sure if it is a sabatier, but the profile is very similar. He isn't afraid of carbon, but wants to try something in a stainless or semi-stainless flavor.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:34 am 

Looks like the SLD came in today. I only recently picked up the Kono HH Sujihiki, so otherwise the SLD Addict is my only Kono experience. Consequently, I cannot say how the SLD compares to the HD.

The SLD is a unique profile. In addition to being tall, it here is no extended flat section (sweet spot). Instead there is a gentle curve the entire length of the blade. Not a good or bad thing, just depends on how you use it. Right now it is probably my favorite knife to use.

Fit and finish is among the best of my knives.

The Funyuki profile is a flatter profile, more like a sabatier: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohd240gynew.html. The SLD would be a pretty big departure form a Sab.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:37 am 

The funy kinda reminds me of a masamoto KS. Good info. Thanks. He really likes the HD2 profile, so that is kinda what I am shooting for, even though it is a bit of a departure from the sabatier profile.

Last edited by delmar on Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:40 am 
Forum Moderator

Delmar, I was actually going to recommend the Kanehiro Ginsan 240. Great knife! That one might be a winner.

The Kono HH, HD are basically the same knife with different steel.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:49 pm 

There is nothing like a konosuke, there's nothing like hd steel. If the length is not a deal breaker, get it. He already likes it, perhaps another knife would be good except for...fill in the blank. You might be trading on con for another larger one. I say ask your dad about it. Is the length really a deal breaker. Don't get me wrong, there are many great knives on this site. There might be a PERFECT one here for him. The bottom line is a kono is a kono. They will all be in this size range, "running a bit short" I don't think there is a knife though that is a direct substitute. Maybe the 270 is the answer. I would talk it over further with him and get one of these based on his size preference. Just my two cents....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:37 pm 

Delmar , if your dad is used to using his 10" Sabatier he should have no problem with. Kono 270. As previously mentioned their blades tend run short and the 270 Kono measures 260cm in actual blade length. That is only 1/4" longer than his Sab.

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next