It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:09 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 4 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Nubatama 'Richmond' knife pictures
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:12 pm 
Forum Moderator

So I posted these pictures on my Facebook page, which I would encourage all of you to check out and join.

https://www.facebook.com/ken.schwartz.984

These blades without handles are en route to Mark. These are all black steel 'ryoba' or gyutos in 210, 240 and 270 mm sizes.

Most of these pictures have rulers in them so you can get a sense of the dimensions.

And there are a few background shots of some naturals in there that I used as a pleasant background to show the edge profile better.

Here's a couple of the pictures. Check out my FB page for the rest of them.

Here's one that shows off the profile of the blade, resting the edge against a yellow Hideriyama natural stone. This shows the natural stone finish on the blade as well as the Kanji. This Kanji says "Richmond" and is a unique translation used exclusively for the Nubatama series. Different Kanji can have the same pronunciation with vastly different meanings. The opposite side of the blade has 'Nubatama' carved into the blade (3 Kanji).

And here's a closeup of the heel of the blade showing the overall taper or profile of the blade

Nubatama blades come in black steel, however he also does shirogami (white) and blue steel blades as well, both traditional and double bevel styles. I have a white steel Deba that Adam rehandled for instance. He also does left handed single blades too. I have a left handed 230 mm yanagi in black steel for instance.

Many more pics on my FB page. Check it out.

---
Ken

Post subject: Re: Nubatama 'Richmond' knife pictures
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:37 pm 

The problem with these knives is that they are so expensive, that they're essentially inaccessible? You should give a choil shot against a light bulb Ken, where people can really see the grind.

They're probably great knives, I don't doubt that.

He should offer some real deals on his knives, or even samples/freebies to get them 'out' to people, so that they can at least try them and post opinions.
I'm assuming he's got a more than few laying around...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:10 pm 

I haven't heard of a single person who had used one.

Mowgs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:07 am 
Forum Moderator

Samples and freebies would be a great idea if I got them for free. Unfortunately, even though it would popularize them more quickly, I don't see this happening. Passing out thousand dollar bills with the free samples would really make me more popular too :) I'd love to test drive a Ferrari against a Lamborgini too.

There are many more shots on my FB page, so check them out over there to get a better idea of their geometry. The choil shot is in excellent focus. Photographically shooting it against a bright light would yield just a dark outline of the blade.

There have been some reviews of these knives and I wish there were more. So far people have been uniformly impressed.

I do realize that many people are not going to be willing to take the plunge on an unknown knifemaker with a mystery steel and this greatly restricts the rate of acceptance of these knives for the value that they possess, but some parts of presenting this are beyond my control that I just have to accept. It will cause a much slower rate of acceptance of what is an exceptional knife.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:13 am 

I have said they are just to expensive for an unknown since the day they showed up, and as mowg said I haven't heard of the first person using one.
You might drum up a little talk and interest if you had a pass around or something for a few to try it out and give some feedback.

And could you make those pictures any bigger?!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:17 am 

black steel, sounds sexy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:20 am 

"Photographically shooting it against a bright light would yield just a dark outline of the blade."

You mean like this great shot Ken? :D
konosuke-fujiyama-blue-2-gyuto-and-sharpening-t5250-10.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:44 am 

I have the same problem pitching white and blue steel here in Mexico. Aogami Super has a great ring jaja i´m in love.

Damn. it should be something like black max steel. It´s so out of my league right as a Ferrari.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:37 am 

Ken and Mark...with all due respect we deserve more information. What is black steel? Is it a proprietary blend of materials that the blacksmith wishes to keep secret? If so, that's fine...Second, who makes Nubatama knives? Is this a secret too?

I can fully respect that you'd want to develop a high end esoteric boutique knife, but for that kind of money your customers deserve to know some very basic questions. Who forged it? How is black steel different than top shelf Hitachi steel?

"I do realize that many people are not going to be willing to take the plunge on an unknown knifemaker with a mystery steel and this greatly restricts the rate of acceptance of these knives for the value that they possess, but some parts of presenting this are beyond my control that I just have to accept. It will cause a much slower rate of acceptance of what is an exceptional knife."

Ken...I do believe without a doubt that many knife enthusiasts are willing to accept unknown knife steels knowing they are buying a one of a kind work of functional art. But those who buy such knives are seeking a direct connection to the person who forged the steel. Are you implying that the knife maker or collective knife production team does not want to make it's presence known?

I think it is safe to say inquiring minds want to know what is black steel...and who is behind Nubatama blades. If those questions can't be answered in the vaguest of responses then we absolutely have the right to possess doubts about Nubatama.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:54 am 
Forum Moderator

Here's a link to a black steel yanagi and discussion of the ryoba too that you might find of interest:

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showt ... id/891398/

---
Ken

Page 1 of 4 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next