It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:24 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Shun or something else?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:51 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply. I'm looking for an all purpose 8" chef's knife. After looking around your site, I think I've settled on the Shun Classic Chef Knife 8". I love the look of Damascus steel and from what I can tell it won't rust (yes?). I'm wondering if there is anything I should be aware of that makes the knife inappropriate for any tasks or if there are any others you'd recommend looking at in the same price range (roughly $150 or less). This will be my first 'good' knife, so I want something all-purpose, long lasting and ideally beautiful.

Thank you,
Brian

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Shun or something else?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

Shun's are fine but they're kind of common and boring. I think there are other knives that might be way more fun for you to try. I'll let my customers give you some suggestions.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:27 pm 
Forum Moderator

"Won't rust" is for all rights correct.....however, stainLESS steel can still rust if left wet long enough (a full day for lack of a better defined time). You're probably more referring to carbon steel's versus stainless steels and the Shun's are stainless.

Shun's have a western profile, so if that's something you're after, they're not bad knives. Western profile for a chef's knife has more belly (more upward curve to the tip). Japanese and French profile's are flatter.

If profile isn't a huge selling point, there are some better deals to be had in my humble opinion.

8" Shun Classic is $140....so I'll keep my recommendations to that mid $100's range.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/goda21gy.html

I like the steel in these more than the Shun's and I think they look better.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satadagy210.html

Similar knife to above, perhaps a little more refined.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:51 pm 

+1 on Adam's recommendations.

The Goko is a nice knife, and the Sakai Takayuki is probably just a little step up from the Goko. There aren't many more damascus stainless knives in that price range.

The damascus is nice, but for the same money as the Shun knife, you could get more knife, or a better steel. If you just like the look, go for one of the above. It's the reason I bought my Goko :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:01 pm 

Shun knives do not get much love on many of the kitchen knife forums. The usual criticisms are a blade profile more like a western knife and a apparent lack of price versus performance. If you like a blade with a fair amount of belly, you will not like many Japanese knives. Shun does offer excellent fit and finish on their knives, which is some thing you need to decide is an issue for you or not. For me it is. Many less expensive Japanese knives will not have very good finish In addition, Shun has an excellent warranty and does offer a yearly sharpening program if that is of interest to you. I look at Shun more as a hybrid between western and Japanese knives. Whether that works for you is a choice only you can make.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:31 pm 

I'm the person who sent Mark the message that started this thread. Thanks for the suggestions so far!

In terms of belly, I'm looking for something fairly middle of the road. Nothing too crazy rounded or flat.

I'm not totally committed to Damascus steel, just think it looks beautiful. If there's an alternative knife you'd recommend with other steel, please do.

As for price, $150 or less feels about right, but I could push it as high as $200 for a 'really good reason'.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:48 pm 
Forum Moderator

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ictkcgy21.html

A great reason to spend more money. No flash, no pizzazz, and not quite as stainless as the Shun's or other knives I mentioned.....but far and away a better performing knife.

It's stainless enough to not have to worry about it that much at all. I leave mine wet or with food attached for an hour sometimes and I still don't have any staining and certainly no rusting.

The steel is amazing, the geometry is perfect for a one knife household, and the profile is perfect.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:21 pm 

If your set on Shun go with the SG2 steel line. But certainly for the money you could do much better cost vs performance going another direction.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:57 pm 

The Shun Reserve line (SG2) will blow his budget and then some. The Chief's knife is going to be pushing $400. For those price there seems to be a lot of options. The TKC seems to fit a lot of what the OP is looking for and good to know the semi-stainless steel is not that semi.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:33 pm 

I'd push my budget and get the TKC

Page 1 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next