It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:27 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 5 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Takeda Quality Issues?!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:26 am 

Hi folks, I was almost buying a Takeda Gyuto but then I stumpled upon this thread:
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/16405-Takeda-What-to-look-for-(now)-to-keep-from-getting-screwed?highlight=takeda+food+release

What do you think?

Post subject: Re: Takeda Quality Issues?!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:24 pm 

I recall there being a similar, though shorter, discussion here already in response to that thread. I'd suggest tracking it down if you haven't already. I looked at your earlier posts and it looks like you have given this decision quite a bit of thought so I will give you a thoughtful response. Please keep in mind I've not owned or handled the knife in question due to the fact that my personal preferences in aesthetics just don't match his rustic finish. I wish they did because there is supposedly something special about Takeda knives.

So, if it were me, based on some of the recent comments about thickness issues of the more recent batches I'd try and determine the measurements that are considered normal or good for this knife and then ensure that the one I'm purchasing has similar dimensions. That would give me more comfort than taking someone else's word that what was written was either right or wrong. You appear to have your heart set on that knife so figure out how to ensure that what you buy matches up with how they are supposed to be. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:24 pm 

If you are purchasing from cktg I believe they have a service where they will send pictures of several knives so you could view it prior to purchase. I have also read takeda is very response to issues with his knives. I realize sending a knife back to Japan may not be what you are after, just something to consider

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:49 pm 
Forum Moderator

I plead the 5th.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:00 pm 

Sounds like Melampus knows something. If you get the time please inform us. Some blunt intercourse (giggity) on the topic is needed, if for no other reason than to disprove those who call us shills, fanbois, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:03 pm 

Hi snipes, i searched in advance for such a thread but could not find any. Can you please provide a link?

Do you mean 5th entry? Dont buy if u cannot sharpen? If i buy such an expensive knife i expect at least good conditions.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:35 pm 

He means the fifth amendment of the US Bill of Rights. It's a prohibition against against self incriminating speech.

Reading between the lines: something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:37 pm 

Here is what Dave Martell posted in that forum message:
Takeda ....What to look for (now) to keep from getting screwed

Takeda used to make really thin knives that cut great. Now they're leaving the area above the edge really extra thick making for wedgie-monsters. They need to go back to grinding them as they used to but in the meantime new buyers are coming along and getting screwed by these new bad grinds.

Below shows a brand new never used or sharpened 240mm Takeda gyuto.

You can see where Takeda removed steel and I marked in where they need to grind up to, where they used to grind up to, you can see the difference.

I tried to get a choil shot but had no luck in clarity.

I screwed up and forgot to measure the thickness but my guess is that the area above the cutting edge is nearly as thick as (or maybe even thicker than) the spine.

Anyway, should you be thinking about buying a Takeda I would advise that you request of the retailer to take a picture of the actual knife you're considering buying (not a stock photo) and verify which grind it has before you get stuck with a lemon.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:47 pm 

When I first stuck my toes in the J-knife world Dave Martell was one of the names I came across a lot and had a cult like following. The more I started to read from the man himself the more he seamed like a cry baby that blamed everyone else for anything bad going on in his life and didn't have nearly the knowledge he's given credit for. He's waiting for life to come to him instead of going out and grabbing it by the ass!

Ooopps, I guess I'm veering off topic. Sorry. By the way, I just don't see the big deal with Takedas. Don't like the profiles, height or the looks in general. Maybe you have to use one to appreciate them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:01 pm 

dforce wrote:Hi snipes, i searched in advance for such a thread but could not find any. Can you please provide a link?

Do you mean 5th entry? Dont buy if u cannot sharpen? If i buy such an expensive knife i expect at least good conditions.

I wasn't able to find it either.

Page 1 of 5 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next