It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:36 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Kohetsu aogami super vs. Lazer aogami super
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:05 pm 

I currently do not have any aogami super steel knives. And like everyone else here I am a knife fanatic and feel like I need one. I like height to my knives typically and would like some recommendations if anyone has used these products. I'm willing to take advice on other aogami supers also I just don't want to spend much over 300 dollars for one. And I am still debating between a 270 mm and a 240 mm.

Post subject: Re: Kohetsu aogami super vs. Lazer aogami super
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

I have the 240mm AS Laser (Well, Steve G has is currently for videos) and it's a sweet knife. Its VERY thin behind the edge, has a nice grind and then above the blade road, it has a slightly concave grind back to the spine to reduce the weight up top. The knife feels beefier than a typical laser type knife and has a nice heft to it, but cuts incredibly well. I tried the Kohetsu 240mm and it's a bit thicker behind the edge, but seems lighter and thinner overall from what I remember, but that was a while ago and it had the stock handle on it vs a custom stabilized handle that adds some weight.

I took some choil shots of the AS Laser 240mm gyuto and they are in my subforum: richmond-as-laser-t2691.html

The AS Laser may be slightly taller, but I can't remember completely? Both are great knives; if you want a knife with more mass, get the AS Laser, lighter knife, get the Kohetsu.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:23 pm 

Well I guess I'll have to play the waiting game, all the aogami lasers are out of stock. I do typically like a heavier knife with height so that helps a lot thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:45 pm 

The AS laser is one of my personal favorites in the $200 category. It's worth the wait. It is extrememly thin at the edge. It is heavier than the Kohetsu, but is still on the light end of middle weights.

If you can't wait or want something with more heft(a solid middle weight) and slightly more height, the Kanehiro is in stock. I haven't handled myself, but from the reviews it should be a fantastic performer. It is at the upper end of your budget http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ka24wa.html

These threads might be of interest to you:
kanehiro-240mm-gyuto-chef-knives-to-go-and-value-t199.html
kohetsu-vs-kanehiro-t3967.html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:48 pm 

IMO you just can't go wrong with the Richmond Laser Gyuto in AS. Steel, grind, performance, value is all there. Add in the gorgeous new handles with curly maple ferrule and its an obvious must have knife.

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:06 am 

The Laser AS is a great $200 range knife as others have said. I wish it were 65 HRC ;) .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:09 am 

Mark,

I just now really saw what your avatar is. For the longest time I thought it was the opening palm tree in smog scene from the movie "To Live and Die in LA'. And I have a 26" monitor! These cataracts gotta come off.

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:33 am 

How is the Moritaka 270 Gyuto? I was looking at that MasakageYuki 270 Gyuto also as a possible knife until the lasers are in.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:20 pm 

FWIW the Yuki is stainless clad W#2. NOT Aogami super.

Mowgs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:01 pm 

I'm aware of the steel I'm just looking for something to tied me over until the lazers are back in. I have the yuku petty knife, I haven't gotten a chance to give it much action yet though. And I'm actual thinking about getting both of them.

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next