It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:02 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 4 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Petty wanted 150 mm
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:21 pm 

Starting my petty research. It will be at least 2 months before I buy so feel free to recommend out of stock knives.

1. right handed
2. petty
3. 150 mm
4. stainless only. (no stainless cladding)
5. western handle
6. Below $250
7. Do you know how to sharpen? Working on it. 

Looking for something that is a mini-Gyuto. Home user.  Cutting small onions, shallots, garlic, carrots, chicken break-down (I do not need to cut bones), broccoli...  Everything except bread..

Basically, my wife uses a 5 inch chefs Wusthof classic for 100% of her knife work. I want to give her a better option but the same size. It has to be full stainless because it will never get washed till the meal is over when I wash the dishes.  It has to be 150 mm.  I will also want to use the knife so I want it sick sharp for a stainless. 

Order of importance
Edge retention
Ease of sharpening
Sick edge
F&F
Who am I kidding, they are all just as important.

Some side notes..
Is Mark really going to get HAP40 before I die and would it include a 150 mm petty. I can wait if someone speaks up and says I "believe" my "drug dealer"
I really really like the look of the Tanaka Petty 150mm Iron Wood http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tanakapetty.html but it is out of my price range.
I would like to stay away from doing a custom knife handle because I bought a great blade but the F&F is not as nice. 
 Takamura Migaki R-2 Petty 150mm http://www.chefknivestogo.com/takamura2.html seems like a good option. What is the next step up from this?

Thanks in advance

El

Post subject: Re: Petty wanted 150 mm
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:40 pm 

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohh15pe.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:41 pm 

The Takamura seems to be just what you are looking for actually. The next step up from that would be the Tanaka, really. They are made from the same steel. They have the same handle wood. Same HRC rating. Different in aesthetics and appointments.

The Takamura is lighter and barely thinner. The Tanaka is a little(read, barely) longer and taller.

A similar damascus patterned knife, cheaper......
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/sata12pe.html

The powdered stainless in the Takamura would be a great steel for edge retention, ease of sharpening may suffer due to the steel's toughness, but a sick edge is possible for anyone who can sharpen. F+F is something I can't speak on. I don't own one.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:42 pm 

thats a wa sorry I need to read more clearly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:03 pm 

Unfairly overlooked most of the time and a very goo knife. Haruyuki 150mm Petty: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/hasrs15post1.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:43 pm 

I don't have the petty, but I can tell you that F+F on the santoku are absolutely top-notch. It's very sharp OOTB, and very aesthetically pleasing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:28 am 

I "believe" our "dealer" will get in HAP40 before you die. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:03 am 
Forum Moderator

The Takamura fits the bill, but it is clad. Most Japanese knives are clad, even in stainless. The Tanaka R2 Damascus is also clad as is the Harayuki. The Takamura has Dymondwood handles, not Ironwood. Big difference in the wood, weight, look, etc. You could have the Takamura rehandled and still be under your budget. The cladding on these knives is stainless, as is the core.

I have a Tanaka R2 Wa 240mm gyuto. Edge retention is sick, I sharpened it up quickly and used to it prep a huge pot of chili and do some other cutting with it. Edge feels like it just came off of the stones! I would go with the Takamura R2 or the Harayuki, depending on which one you like the looks of better.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:57 am 
Forum Moderator

Guys, I think the OP means no stainless clad over a carbon steel core. He just wants full stainless.

I agree that the Takamura and Haruyuki are his best options if edge retention is a prime requirement.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:27 pm 

I am the OP. SteveG is right. I am looking for the best stainless 150 petty for $250 mini-gyuto use, western handle. Yes, it can be clad but it has to be clad in stainless over stainless.

From what I am seeing from all the post the Takamura and Haruyuki are top contenders.

SteveG if edge retention was not a priority would you recommend something else?

To me, a newbie it seems like the only top tier stainless 150 petty mark sells is the Tanaka which is close to $400. The two mid tier are Takamura and Haruyuki. That leaves a gap at the $250 price point. But as I said I am a newbie and I don't want to insult anyone. Again to me the newbie, the carbon or carbon clad have a better cross section of price points. I suspect I am missing something, maybe there is no demand for it or it is not something easily stocked.

El

Page 1 of 4 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next