It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:14 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Knife and a stone on a budget.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:53 pm 
Site Admin

Hi!

Firstly, I'm totally hooked to the world of cooking knives, thanks to Chef Knives to Go and very informative members of the forum! I bought the Tojiro DP set two months ago and love it!

I would like to buy my husband and knife and stone as a gift. He is a cook so he appreciates knives, but I don't have a big budget because I'm a student. I really wanted the imanishi 1k/6k stone (recommended as a starter stone by forum members) and a yamashin white #1 (as a first carbon knife and a good starter for learning how to use the stone). However, I went to order the stone and saw that it's out of stock. I'm on the list to get notified when it's back in stone, but I leave on April 16th for Italy so I was wondering if you happen to have any insight into when they might be back in stock?

Otherwise, could you recommend a different stone around the same price?

Also, if you have any recommendations on a knife for my husband, I would appreciate that! He's right-handed and has big hands (he specializes in pizza), so he'd probably love a larger knife. However, because of my budget I'm thinking about going for a smaller knife. I don't know what to choose...I'd kind of like something unique or special but I realize that within my budget I'll probably have to settle for an "ordinary" - but high-functioning - knife.

I can also post this on the forum, but since I was emailing you about the Imanishi 1k/6k I thought I'd ask you for your opinions as well.

Thanks in advance! Love your site and your knives!!!

~Jessica

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Knife and a stone on a budget.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:59 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jessica,

I love Italy. We've gone 3 times and we want to go again but the website is a ball and chain and it's hard to get away these days.

I think you would do well with a shapton 2K glass stone. It will cut that steel quickly and will give you a very good working edge. It's also easy to use, splash and go, thin and light for travel.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shgl20gr.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:41 pm 

Thanks so much for this recommendation!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:42 pm 

The 52100 sab artifex is a great budget knife if you are thinking something large. Once it develops a patina you will surely have something unique and special.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:35 am 

Or wait until the Hitachi Blue version comes out... in two weeks. :P

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]