It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:11 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Upgrading my Hanckels 4 stars
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:05 pm 
Site Admin

I am considering stepping up in tools for my home kitchen. I do spend hours preparing when I cook and am looking into upgrading from my 4 star Henckles to Japanese Steel. I started out looking at the Miyabi Brichwood knives but upon reading the various knife related forums I realize I may need something more functional. I am looking at the Masakage Koishi and the Richmond Damascus with Maple handle. Do you have any other suggestions and which way would you go? I am not a professional but I do a ton of vegetable cutting for fresh soups to serve large parties. I do not do my own sharpening at this time but can certainly learn. I am sure this is not the first time you have been asked these questions. I look forward to your reply.

Jamie

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Upgrading my Hanckels 4 stars
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:06 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jamie,

We'll be happy to help. Give us a little more info. You answered the sharpening question. We have a ton of knives so it helps if we know more about your specific criteria.

1. Are you right handed?
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..)
3. What size knife are you looking for?
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel?
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle?
6. How much did you want to spend?
7. Do you know how to sharpen? Not yet but willing to learn.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:13 am 

chefknivestogo wrote:Hi Jamie,

We'll be happy to help. Give us a little more info. You answered the sharpening question. We have a ton of knives so it helps if we know more about your specific criteria.

1. Are you right handed? YES
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..) GYUTO
3. What size knife are you looking for? 240 - 270
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel? STAINLESS CLAD
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle? EITHER
6. How much did you want to spend? UNDER 400 DOLLARS
7. Do you know how to sharpen? Not yet but willing to learn.

I began my quest looking into the Miyabi Birchwood 9 inch chefs knife, 6 inch utility and Santouko but began demoing other knives. The one which catches my eye but I do not believe I will be able to try out is the Masakage Koisi gyoto 240 with Maple handle. I am in So. Cal. so I may not have any where to try this knife. I also looked at the Bob Kramer Henkles version and was disappointed with the amount of pressure need to cut through Potatoes and Apples. I suppose it was a sharpening issue though the blades cut through paper like butter. I also tried out the Miyabi Artisan SG2 set including the large chefs knife and was actually impressed with the 9.5 inch Artisan Chefs knife. I have not found a place yet to test drive some of the more custom Japanese manufacturers but since I am not now nor have a desire to be a pro I will take the advice given on these sites. I do love to cook for the masses (usually 8 - 12 folks) and my soups are always a hit. I cut a Lot of veggies of all sorts, celery, onion, Pea Pods, Cilantro, to go with fresh fish and shellfish. Meat and chicken dishes find their way out of my kitchen as well.
I am willing to start at the bottom, well maybe not the bottom but 400 dollars should get me one heck of a good start. Thank you for any help you can provide as suggestions are what I need and reasons for any suggestions.

Jamie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:12 pm 

I forgot to note,

I do like flash and bling which is why I considered the Birchwood in the first place. Yes, I like the heavily figured Damascus Cladded look but functionality is going to come first. I also would like an exquisitely attractive yet functional handle again reflecting my desire for the beauty of the Birchwood line. If I can get bling and function then we have a home run. Finally, I am looking for a great knife which slices through Potatoes, celery, carrots and onions with the least amount of pressure which is why I am looking at these types of knives . Thank you for any help.

Jamie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:32 pm 

Jamie, your budget gets you into most knives on the site. Take a look at the shiro Kamo gyuto and anryu hammered gyuto and let me know what you think about looks. Don't focus on handles - there are folks on this forum that can install new handles that will blow those birchwood handles out of the water.

Factor in a stone or two for sharpening into your budget.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:21 pm 

Good morning SCB, Thank you as I did look at the items you suggested and they are beautiful tools. However, I am leaning now towards the Masakege Yuki line and actually thinking of getting two Gyoto knives. One in 240 and one in 270. I also thought about the Konosuke HD2 but it sounds like it needs just a bit more care. I will also need a utility/petty knife and again was thinking about both companies, especially the Masakage 150 but it is out of stock. I did Speak with Mark and he was a great help. I am ready to pull the trigger on 3 knives so unless something changes soon I may be set. Still open for suggestions. Now I need to figure out my stone needs as it is time I started to sharpen my own.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:42 pm 

The Kono HD2 doen't need anymore care than a Yuki, maybe even less.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:29 pm 

Both those are great knives. The Yuki cladding has a bit more character than suggested in the photo. Both have very good fit and finish (maybe a slight edge to HD2). I like the HD2 a bit more - it is a lightweight, nimble performer. Kind of a standard bearer in the lightweight/laser category. They are pretty different - Yuki thicker and heavier.

+1 on what Jeff B said - the Kono is semi-stainless, while the Yuki is white (carbon).

Last, consider grabbing knives from different lines to experiment with different steel, finishes and looks.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:35 pm 

Fish - I'm trying read the unwritten here... by "HD2 needs just a bit more care", are you referring to thin laser vs medium weight?

It may be worth while to get 2 different knives for the 240 and 270. Variety is the spice of life ;)
A medium weight 240 and a laser 270 makes for an easier transition between knives, imo... just a thought for you.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:24 am 

Thank you all for your input. You are right. I need to play with some different companies. So I am now set on the HD2 and the Yuki for my 240 and 270 needs. I do not know if either company makes one size better than the other but I may be limited to what is available. I still need to choose my third knife which I believe should be a 150 Petty. Does that sound reasonable?? My next question is which handles to get. The HO looks fine to me but I am open to suggestions. I assume each knife is an individual so is it worthwhile to ask about the handles which are in stock or they all the same??

I am ready to order as soon as possible. I also need to find out about stones or stone kits, Honing tool (I still have the honing steel which came with my Henkles 4 star),oil if necessary for storage, A wood/magnetic display type knife holder ( I understand my old slotted butcher block type knife holder may not be appropriate) and a proper cutting board so if you have any input that would be great. As a note, I am lucky my kitchen has very large work areas so size of board should be no problem. I do not know if there is a two sides board with one flat side and one channeled on the edges for drip retention. Again, any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

You folks are really helping me with your valuable input as I am in very new territory with Japanese steel. It is crazy that I am so excited about knives but it appears as if I am not alone.

Jamie

Last edited by fishordie on Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

Page 1 of 3 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next