It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:57 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Masakage Mizu question
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:55 am 

So I have a confession. I bought a knife from another company. But only because the size wasn't offered here!

I received a 75mm Masakage Mizu and have a question about fit and finish. The ferrule and handle were not really all that flush. And by that I mean it was probably in the "worst of" category. I think it's right up there with my Tojiro ITK petty with not even being in the realm of close.

So the question I have is: Is this normal for the mizu line? I was told when I inquired about it that it is their budget line and they save money on the handle. I'm not complaining, I'm just wondering for future purchases if this was indicative of the entire line or I just got a bad sample. What is your experience with the Mizu line?

Thanks
Coachnj

Post subject: Re: Masakage Mizu question
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:00 am 

I have a 270 mizu suji, f+f is absolutely fine, rounded spine eased choil no gap at ferrule and tang. ferrule and handle weren't at the exact same level but doesn't bother me at all I will sand it down eventually or rehandle it. I buy knifes for there blade not handle though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:27 am 

First off, I do not have any knives from the Masakage line in question, so those who do, please correct me if I'm wrong. From the look of the pictures from the website, it is indicative of the entire line.

Tanaka KU knives are the same way. Function over form.

Mowgs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:02 am 

I noticed that in all pictures, the mizu handles have a bit of a step between the ferrule and handle. A step between resin ferrules and a wood handle is not uncommon regardless of maker. Goko's chestnut with resin ferrule for example.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:10 pm 
Forum Moderator

+1 to all that's been said. It's going to be common on the Mizu line. You'll likely have a step between the ferrule and the main handle. The Yuki, Shimo, and Koishi generally are smooth - much nicer handles, although the cherry in the Mizu line looks very nice.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:28 pm 

i have a mizu petty at 150mm. There is a step up from the resin faux buffalo horn ferrule to cherry wood. But this is my only complaint about the knife. In a pinch grip, that step sits in the meat of my left ring finger near my middle finger, where I have my wedding ring, so I don't feel it much at all. But it would be easy to sand if it did.

On the bright side, the F&F are excellent, especially at this price point. As others pointed out, there is a very nice easing of the choil and spine. The radius at the choil/tang is one of the best I have seen. The kurouchi finish has a beautiful blue to it, carefully done lacquer coating, and from what I have heard from others, one of (if not the) most durable kurouchi finishes out there. there is virtually no visible gaps where tang meets the handle, and the cherry wood is very well done - nicely sanded and sealed. The faux buffalo horn was initially bothersome to me aesthetically, but I have grown to like it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

With the plastic/resin collars, there is often a step because they won't grind the handle down and have to refinish the plastic collar. On knives with the pakka wood ferrule, like the Yuki, the ferrule/handle are finished together, but the materials can sill move/swell/shrink a bit. Even stabilized woods can move slightly, too!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:28 pm 

taz575 wrote:With the plastic/resin collars, there is often a step because they won't grind the handle down and have to refinish the plastic collar. On knives with the pakka wood ferrule, like the Yuki, the ferrule/handle are finished together, but the materials can sill move/swell/shrink a bit. Even stabilized woods can move slightly, too!

Yeah, I tried to sand down the bump on a D-shaped ITK handle and ferrule, and the resin didn't take too kindly too it. LOL.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, I have been playing with some Polyester resin materials lately, mostly on ferrule, but sometimes on the rear part and they are different than the plastic collars on many of the lower end Japanese knives. Resin ferrules get a bad name, but when they are done correctly, they can be nice.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:10 pm 

Agree. The mizu is done well, at least on mine. The ridge is a perfect 1mm all the way around and the cherry is a perfect oval...I got bored on night and got out my digital caliper and measured it at different points. If they do that freehand, I am very impressed

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next