It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:23 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Takeda Nakiri replacement
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:38 am 

A friend at work has a Takeda nakiri that he lets me use somtimes. I have been using lasers like knives and vegtables stick like crazy to them which is not a problem ,but the Takeda dosen't stick at all everything ,the food just lines up perfectly when cutting.So I want to get a nikiri thats not a takeda ,under 200 bucks and be over 50mm tall (Carbon or stainless )that has this style of grind. Any recommendations?

Post subject: Re: Takeda Nakiri replacement
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

To be honest, I couldn't tell you if it's the Takeda's KU finish or the grind that gives it good food release.

My recommendation would be to spend a little more and get what you know you already like.

That said:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/funa16naocha.html

May be pretty close in both regards. It's got a good grind and a KU finish (albeit neither is exactly like the Takeda).

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:54 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3KD6vz7H6E
Personally, never had the experience of dicing vegetables without having
to periodically use my plastic scraper to clean off the blade loaded with product.
Takeda demo'd in this video with just potatoes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:17 pm 

I will add that the Takeda I used is the stainless model. I would like the knife fanatic to chime in on this one, as he tested this knife out. I will say I used this knife on multiple ingredients (squash, zucchini, cucumbers, potatoes) all these are notorious for sticking to the blade, after cutting all these ingredients All the ingredients just layed there perfectly cut. Now the cutting an onion in half from the start there is a little wedging. But when I watch other nakiri on demonstrations videos the ingredients are sticking to the blade, but you can see it in the knife fanatic video of the Takeda 90% of the ingredients just stay there or you can say fall to the right. Would a single bevel knife preform like this? I also notice the knife fanatic use the term scandi grind maybe that's what I'm looking for?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:37 pm 

Kirkstyle:

I just got my Masakage Koshi Nakiri a few weeks ago; my other choices were the Takeda and the Masakage Yuki. All I can say you will be floored by the F&F and OOTB edge. Killer knife with that said I also own 2 Takeda's both brands are great, the Masakage F&F is a little slicker out of the box as well as OOTB sharpness. The Takeda's feel more handmade and rustic; the Takeda's blades are thinner but I would not let that influence your choice on food release; I think it would influence where you may use it home cook vs. line. I am home cook. Also the Masakage are super tall.

Good luck,
Sean

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:31 pm 

I was able to play with the 250mm Gyuto for a bit. From what I remember, it does have a scandi grind. The excellent food release displayed on some products comes from the slightly pronounced shoulders being able to push the product away, causing little to no interaction with the concave face of the blade. As you mentioned, the downside is slight wedging through some of the more denser ingredients. It was a great performer indeed, but the style of the grinds does have it's trade-offs.

I'm not sure there are other makers who do it like Takeda, hopefully some nakiri users will chime in.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]