It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:32 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kanehiro AS or Kanehiro Ginsan Suji?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:28 pm 
Site Admin

Hey mark,

Thanks for the advice in the forum. I guess I will look at sujihikis then. I saw two from
Kanehiro Sujihiki 270mm and another Kanehiro Ginsan Sujihiki 270mm

What is the difference between those two ?

I am looking for edge rentiontion, carbon steel or clad carbon steel, double bevel, and good looks but that is less important than the others. Also that its thin but it does not have to be the thinnest thing, that it has some heft to it. Maybe like max price 350 or 450

thanks

jesse

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Kanehiro AS or Kanehiro Ginsan Suji?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:31 pm 
Forum Moderator

JESSE <> Coincidentally, I was just praising the Kanehiro product. < post44004.html#p44004 > Not really much of a coincidence as I've lauded them for years. A Kanehiro exemplifies one of my most pragmatic style preferences in Japanese cutlery. They hustle back & forth on the cusp of thin & thick, heavy or light, edge potential & edge retention. They do everything, they do it amazingly well, and they excel at specifics in the twist.

To answer your question. The difference is the hagane... the core steel.. what you cut with. The "AS" is a reactive steel made by Hitachi named "Aogami Super / blue super, in english". The "Ginsan" designates a stainless steel of which is employed in the knifes core. Here is a picture of a Kanehiro AS to illustrate the design. Additionally, the Ginsan may not show this distinction on the spine as they employ a Warikomi style cladding on at least some of the line... you will still see the sandwich in the choil.

The parameters you set in your post eliminate the Ginsan from your list as it is clad stainless steel. You say you want reactive steel, and that is the
Kanehiro AS<--link. The knife is too awesome for me to even offer another suggestion; it would be a disservice. Kanehiro AS is extraordinary.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

Are you wanting carbon or carbon clad carbon? You never mention anything about stainless but when you state "clad carbon steel" me thinks carbon core, stainless cladding?!?!

Anywho, another option to consider would be Takeda's suji:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tayaasdoed27.html

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:30 pm 

Hey

Thanks for the responses and really great pictures. I wanted to say i am always impressed by chef knives to go and this blogg and how helpful people are.

In response to the questions posed, Adam, yes I am sorry i meant like you said , a carbon core with stainless cladding. I have become a fan of these types of knives, but of course I love carbon steel as it is with no cladding at all. Yea i really like carbon steel, I got hooked a few years back when had used vg 10, swedish steel, etc. I love the sharpness, ease of sharpening...of course depending on how well the knife was made and the carbide structure, and the feel of them. Since then I have not really gone back to stainless knives.

Though i own a shun offset silver colored bread slicer which is VG 10 but I use it for mostly bread so its not as big a deal to me as it takes a bit more abuse than my other knives.

I had actually had the takeda sujji as a friend of mine asked me to get him one and i tried it, was really sharp, a bit thick i remember but not toka bad. The moritaka suji is quite thick, not as good as the takeda though plus I like the look of a takeda better. Thanks a lot guys. If you have any other thoughts on a suji lets say in pure swedish steel that are great let me know.

Best,

Jesse Nobles
Stockholm, Sweden

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]