It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:27 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ultimatum 270mm
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:00 pm 

So I posted a recommendation request here (sujihiki-t4814.html) awhile back for a suji. Mel threw me a hell of a curve ball with a recommendation for the 270mm Ultimatum HD. I was hoping someone with some hands-on time with the knife might give me a bit of a review.

A few specific questions:
1) do you find flex noticeable/problematic? MrKnifeFanatic's review mentioned it and it is a thin, light knife. Does it affect cutting or sharpening of the knife?
2) Say I only want one of the laser cut Konos (I would love a Fujiyama down the line), would this give me the full Kono experience, or is there something this knife leaves on the table vs the HD's or Wts?

Tangentially, if someone out there has a moment, I would also love to read a review of the Addict SLD by Kono.

Post subject: Re: Ultimatum 270mm
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:26 pm 
Forum Moderator

Cedar - I was very impressed with the Addict SLD. It's got a great grind for being so thin. It's much taller in relation to it's length at about 55mm versus that Ultimatum at about 53mm and 285 length. If you really like really tall Gyutos, it's a winner in my book.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:14 am 
Forum Moderator

I have the Ultimatum HD 270 from Kono. Yes, it's in the same laser class as the rest of the Kono HD stuff. It's VERY lightweight, too...I handed it to my aunt and her mouth dropped when she felt how light it was compared to her 190mm Hiromoto AS Santoku! The flex didn't cause any issues cutting or sharpening and I was able to flex it a little to help skin a watermelon, so it has some flex, but not enough to be an issue from my experience with it.

This is a lightweight, big, awesome knife. Great profile ad for mowing through a lot of ingredients quickly. I get the run a kitchen for a 160+ person Game Dinner...guess which knife I will be using a lot :) Well, besides the Tanaka Sekiso and Laser AS! LOL.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:49 am 

I have the Ultimatum HD 270 and I agree with Tim. As a homecook with poor knife skill, I don't find the flex noticeable/problematic. I used it mostly on watermelon and it cuts surprising well even with its lightweight. From Steve and CGuarin1987's video, the Addict SLD is a clad knife and looks very impressive. Not sure if the SLD is laser cut like HD.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:14 am 

I have the Ultimatum HD 270 as well, its a beast I break it out when I have insane amounts of prep work and then I also use it as a protein slicer for briskets and such.

I love it personally :D

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]