It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:23 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Single Ground Right Hand Edge Gyuto Recommnedation
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:55 pm 

I have been wading through the hundreds of different Knives available on CKTG and I have found a few that I like, such as the Anryu Hammered Gyuto 210 240. But I would really like a Single Edge Gyuto.

Can someone give me some pointers on where to look and/or recommendations?

I am new to this so please excuse the inexperienced question. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Single Ground Right Hand Edge Gyuto Recommnedation
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:00 am 

I don't believe that mythical creature actually exists in real life. And it's utility would be questionable if it did.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:12 am 

Single edge? Are you referring to single bevel like this? http://www.chefknivestogo.com/yoyagy24.html

May I ask why you are interested in a single bevel gyuto?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:02 am 

I'll be darned! So they do exist. Now I would like to know more.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:25 am 

Tamashii has one as well, currently out of stock: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tabl1da240wa.html

Everything I have heard suggests they are the solution to a problem no one had, and generally just aren't great all-purpose knives becuase the single-bevel is such an extreme change of cutting technique. However if you are used to using single-bevel knives for prep, I could potentially see the appeal. I am not, and therefore I have never considered one.

I'd be interested in other thoughts on this.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:30 am 
Forum Moderator

Check out Melampus' post in this topic before you decide to go for such an odd geometry for a Gyuto: post35217.html?hilit=%20single%20bevel#p35217.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:46 am 
Forum Moderator

Yup, I tried the Yauji and had the same issues as Melampus. Horrible steering and sticking. OK in softer, lower foods, like cutting/trimming proteins, but everything else was a chore to cut.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

I'm working with Yauji on doing some traditional yanagis and debas. I think that is a better way to go with him.

For most customers getting a two sided gyuto is the best option. Microbevels should be ignored since the first time you sharpen them you are going to change the micro bevel anyway and it normally does not affect cutting performance at all.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:42 pm 

To essentially "second" the sentiment of everyone else, you will probably enjoy a double bevel knife MUCH more. This is especially true if you are new to Japanese knives.

Here is a thread from Melampus (to go along with Steve's link) with photos that demonstrates why a single bevel knife, especially an all around chef's style knife like a gyuto, may not be exactly what you expect: post39390.html?hilit=%20single%20bevel#p39390

If you really want a single bevel knife then you are of course free to get one, we just want to make sure you are aware of what you will be getting into and know what to expect. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:32 pm 
Forum Moderator

The single bevel knife I found that most closely cut like a double bevel gyuto was made my Suisin. They called it the Momiji. It was truly single beveled, and hollow back. The problem came in that it was ridiculously thin....actually too thin even for me. It still steered as others have stated single bevels do....but did so far less than any other single bevel gyuto I've ever tried before it, or since it.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]