It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:25 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tojiro vs Fujiwara
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:12 pm 

Hello all, I am new to this forum. I recently developed an obsession with J-knives and I need a recommendation for my first love. I have been doing mass amounts of research and watching countless videos. It is getting all jumbled to the point where I can't commit to the purchase. A bit of background - I have intermediate knife skills and sharpening skills, and this knife will be used at home only. I do have it narrowed down to two choices: Tojiro DP 240mm and Fujiwara FKM 240mm. Initially, I really wanted to get the Tojiro because it was a top seller, has harder VG10 steel, and has many great reviews. I also liked Tojiro because they have a matching, top selling Nakiri which I am interested in. However, with some digging around I found that some people have problems with the handle being too big and blocky. My hands are relatively small so I fear this may keep me from loving the knife as I should. Also, I read that it may be prone to chipping. This has caused me to lean more toward the Fujiwara FKM. I reluctantly give up hardness for F&F. The FKM is also a little cheaper so I can put that toward the saya. Although not as popular as the Tojiro, it seems to have solid reviews. So I was ready to pull out the credit card until I read in another post that Mark prefers the Tojiro because it feels more robust. Now I have cold feet lol. :?

In summary: My budget is around $100 (up to $130 if it is worth the extra). I want a 240mm gyuto that will take and retain a razor edge for medium home use. F&F is a factor in my decision along with durability. It would be nice to have matching knives but not a big deal. I am open to other brand suggestions. PLEASE HELP!

Post subject: Re: Tojiro vs Fujiwara
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:45 pm 
Site Admin

You're not going to go wrong with the Fujiwara. The smaller handle is a plus and they tend to have a little better fit and finish. Tojiros rarely chip so that is not an issue.

My Artifex has better steel than both of these in the same price range but it's a bolsterless knife (I did this to keep the costs down).

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:25 pm 

Thank you for the feedback Mark. Your opinion means a lot to me considering I have been watching your Youtube videos religiously. I am still deciding which one I would like. I really did want the Tojiro just so I can match the Nakiri I plan on buying. I wish I knew someone with a Tojiro so I could get a feel for the handle everyone is complaining about. I have never really paid attention to a knife handle before. I use Dexter Russell knives at work and those handles are HUGE. I might just have to toss a coin for this one hahaha. As for your Artifex, I am interested but I will probably purchase that at a later time. For my home, I want knives with more aesthetic value. I did suggest the Artifex to a friend, however. He is a teppanyaki chef that does a lot of prep work so I showed him the videos of the Artifex and told him to get one.

Another question: I am looking for a new combo stone. I saw the King 800/6000 but is that too much of a gap? I know Murray Carter suggests 1000/6000 then stropping on a newspaper and that was the system I planned on using. Some feedback on this would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind I am on a budget. Best value for the money is what I am looking for

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:24 pm 
Site Admin

I prefer the Imanishi combo to the King but the King one works fine.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/imtwosi1kst.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]