It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:24 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Two side kiritsuke
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:31 pm 
Site Admin

thanks mark

Could you recommend any kiritsuke that is both right and left handed and thin? Im looking for a good all purpose slicer/ chef knife.

thanks

jesse

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Two side kiritsuke
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:34 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jesse,

Check this page: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kiritsukeknife.html

These brands are double sided:

Moritaka
Takeda
Konosuke

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:50 pm 

As a slicer or chef's knife I would not recommend the kiritsuke shape. Sure it looks badass but as a tool it's got a very fragile tip.

a tip repair on a gyuto is a pain enough but a broken tip on a kiritsuke could be very sever and render the knife useless.

For an all purpose slicer and chef's knife I would recommend a Sujihiki. They are thin and short which provides less drag in cuts, but the shape allows you to still do some prep work if need be.

Do they look as badass? No I think the sword tip really sets the kiritsuke apart, however for functionality the sujihiki will be a better choice.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/toitkkigy24.html

I enjoyed mine until my mom knocked it off the counter and broke a good bit of the tip off; then I turned it into a nakiri!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:51 pm 

taz575 wrote:http://www.chefknivestogo.com/toitkkigy24.html

I enjoyed mine until my mom knocked it off the counter and broke a good bit of the tip off; then I turned it into a nakiri!

LMAO, exactly my point though.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:08 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well, I thinned it way out and it fell from several feet (cupboard top above the counter). 1/2" of length broke off of the tip. I think the Tojiro is the least expensive one for you to try out and see how fragile they are and if that would bother you.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:04 am 

I have a Konosuke HD kiritsuke gyuto 270mm and i love it. I went with the ebony handle, thinking a heavier handle for the longer blade. The knife is a real workhorse. I think a kirtsuke gyuto is great for chopping and push cutting, not so much for rocker cutting. Actually, a kiritsuke is a reverse of a sword tip. I have no problems with knife tip damage, but I realize that it would be slightly easier, than with a regular gyuto, to catch the tip on the cutting board if the user is tired or careless. Imagine moving the knife forward, above the cutting table, as you reach with your free hand for the next object to be cut, the knife tip catches in the table, the knife stops, your hand keeps moving, your hand runs into the choil, maybe onto the blade, and you get cut.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]