It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:59 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: What knives do I need still if any?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:17 pm 

Hello, I'm not sure what I need but here is some info.

1. Are you right handed?yes
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..)probably gyuto but am open to suggestions
3. What size knife are you looking for?not sure
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel?not sure
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle?I like the Japanese
6. How much did you want to spend?probably $200 max but not tied to that at all
7. Do you know how to sharpen?no, will learn along with my straight razors :mrgreen:

What I own already is a K-Sabatier 8" Elegance, Kasumi Damascus Santoku Knife 7", and a Wusthof 3.5" Classic Ikon pairing and a set of 15 year old Cutco's (which I let my wife use :lol: )

What should I be looking for to add to my collection as I am just a simple home cook.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mark

Post subject: Re: What knives do I need still if any?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:44 pm 
Forum Moderator

A slicer/suji
A bread knife

Not either required.

Are you happy with the Performance of the Sabatier as your chef's knife?

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:37 pm 

Oh wow... I just Googled the Sabatier Elegance 8" and that thing is a beast. lol It is a pretty knife though, even with the full bolster.

I'm with Adam as to a suji and/or bread knife if you just want to add to the collection to round it out. I personally would replace the Sabatier with something bolsterless or at the very least only a partial bolster and a harder steel. That is only my personal opinion though as I am getting into lighter, thinner knives myself. If you love your Sabatier and it does what you want it to do there is no reason to replace it at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:48 pm 

Time to get yourself a nice 240mm gyuto for your go to knife and retire the Sab to beater duties. You'll be glad you did.
Sujis are nice but rarely get used, save that purchase for later.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:28 pm 

Thanks for the replies, I actually just got the Sabatier and I do like how it works. But as with any hobby/obsession you are never satisfied with what you have and want more. So I will take the information and look for at least another knife or more.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:37 pm 

What gyuto's should I look at?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:45 pm 

It really depends on what you are looking to try (in terms of weight, steel types, aesthetics . . .), but at around $200, if you are flexible on carbon, stainless-clad, and full-stainless, as you seem to be, there are many options for you (in both 210mm and 240mm lengths).

Tanaka Sekiso (all carbon damascus-clad)
Moritaka (all carbon kurouchi)
Masakage Yuki (stainless-clad)
Anryu Hammered (stainless-clad)
Kajihara Damascus (all carbon damascus-clad)
Goko White #1 (stainless-clad)

Some of these are out of stock at the moment, but others are available. And I'm sure there are also others in that price bracket I am forgetting (~$170-$230). The only one I can speak to personally is the Kajihara (in 210mm form), which you can learn more about here kajihara-damascus-210mm-gyuto-t4953.html as well as by watching Mr. KnifeFanatic's excellent video on the product page.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:53 pm 

Ah, OK. I just didn't want to assume you were wanting to replace it. lol

For a gyuto, this one is hard to beat at this price: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fomosp.html

It is on a forum only sale until Sunday at 1pm (or when Mark runs out!), so if you want one there is still a window of opportunity left. Just make sure to put your forum name in the comments box so he knows it is going to a forum member. It is a 240mm Goko white #1 gyuto. Nice and thick at the spine with a thin grind so it cuts very well. Given that it is a very nice knife at its normal price, you probably won't find a better one at the sale price! It is a carbon steel core but the sides are stainless clad which keeps any reactivity to the cutting edge.

Here is a Sakai Takayuki hammered damascus 240mm gyuto: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satadagy240.html

I like recommending it because it is a gorgeous knife and uses a nice stainless steel. Those are also the reasons I want to buy one myself as well... lol

And lastly a high performance option, the Kohetsu 240mm gyuto: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rikoaosu24gy.html

It uses Aogami Super for the core steel and is clad by stainless to keep the reactivity to the edge like the Goko does. It is a thin and light knife, and will keep a nice edge while being easy to sharpen. It is out of stock right now, but there is also a 210mm version as well which looks like it is in stock.

The nice thing about a good gyuto is that it can also do the job of a dedicated slicer as well. I personally still want a slicer (sujihiki) just to have one, but I certainly don't need one with my 240mm gyuto around. lol It also works great for breads like sandwich rolls and such (breads with a thin skin or crust), but if you do breads with thicker crusts you'll most likely want a serrated bread knife. lol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:37 pm 

Thanks for the suggestions. I just ordered the 240mm Goko white #1.
Time to wait..............................and look for more.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:49 pm 

They ship fast depending on when you place the order, today is close to the close of business

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next