It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:27 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Bread knife
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:52 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

I am interested in the purchase of a new bread knife for my personal use. I bake a lot of bread and frequently use a bread knife. The several bread knives I have are no longer really usable and the tight serrated edges prevent a good sharpening. I previously replaced my other knives and have several better quality ones: a Fujiwara Carbon Sujihiki, two Sakai Takayuki hammered Damascus, a Shun Classic Santoku, and a MAC. So, the Farberware Millenium just doesn’t cut it anymore….so what do you recommend? I see you have a Richmond Artifex 270 on sale and also offer a Tojiro 270 ITK. Would you recommend one of these or???? And, importantly as well, what should be used to maintain edge sharpness of what you recommend?

Spencer

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Bread knife
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:00 pm 

I own the ITK, it is awesome and I highly recommend it. If skip to the very end of this video, Kenneth Schwartz demonstrates how to sharpen a bread knife with "scalloped" edges on a Japanese water stone.

The Artifex is very well reviewed, but I have no experience with it. I do not know if it has the "scalloped" serrations or how you might sharpen it if it does not. The Artifex is on sale right now and it a good deal. Arguably the Artifex has the better steel of the two.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:02 pm 

The Tojiro ITK 270mm bread knife is a VERY popular one here: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/toitkbrkn.html

It has scalloped serrations as opposed to pointy ones and can be sharpened on the corner of a sharpening stone. The only issue might be with bread that has a really thick crust. Then you might want the Artifex which has the pointy serrations which would act more like a saw in that case. But for "normal" breads and all around slicing duties the ITK should be great.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:47 pm 
Site Admin

At the current price of $55 the Artifex is a better knife for the money. Better steel, better handle and better serrations for crusty bread. I really like the Tojiro (I helped design it) but the steel is softer so not quite as good for crutsty bread. It works great on other stuff and it's the best selling knife on our site.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:05 am 

At $55 I'd go with the Artifex, much better steel that will hold it's edge longer than the ITK. Even bread knives get dull.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]