It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:25 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Doi
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark

New to your site but probably a loaded question but thinking about getting a couple of knives. Looking for a good everyday knife and a special blue/white steel knife. My moms japanese and I'm channeling my inner japanese roots. Read up on Keijiro Doi and his stuff sounds amazing but seems to have limited knives left. Any suggestions but looking for a knife that can hold an edge long and be used for meats and vegetables. I've also been practicing sharpening so I can make sure not to mess up the blade.

Thanks.

Brendan

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Doi
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:12 pm 
Site Admin

Doi made great knives but they were mostly traditional single beveled knives.

Gyutos are better all purpose knives than yanagis and debas and unfortunately Doi did not make them to my knowledge.

I think this knife by Takayuki and made in Sakai would be a great knife for you: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/sata24wa.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Doi
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:49 pm 

Thanks Mark

This definitely looks great. I was originally thinking of the hiromoto gyuto as an everyday knife but this one looks amazing- will more than likely go with that one. Still wanted to also get a traditional forged knife at some point as well but understand can be difficult to maintain. Any suggestions for that as well. Thanks.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]