It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:07 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Yet another help me pick a new gyuto post
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:42 pm 

After bartering and/or returning a couple of xmas presents and gift cards, I've put together some cash and am looking for a new workhorse gyuto.

Specifically, I want a medium weight 210 wa-gyuto in Aogami for under $150. It will be used at home daily for vegetable prep. I'm right-handed and currently alternate between 210 and 240 stainless gyutos that are handle heavy. I'm looking for something balanced or blade heavy for chopping or push cuts. I sharpen my own knives but have not done substantial thinning before - would prefer to have a knife with good grind OOTB. I would also prefer a kurouchi finish instead of a stainless clad.

I'm considering:
Kajihara KU http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tskakugy21.html
Murata Buho http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mugy21.html
Tanaka KU http://www.chefknivestogo.com/taku21wa.html
Masakage Mizu http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mamigy21.html

So, for those of you that have used some of the above, which would you recommend? I'm leaning towards the Tanaka though it's on the light side. The Masakage is more than I wanted to spend but if you can convince me it's worth the extra cash over the other three, so be it.

Post subject: Re: Yet another help me pick a new gyuto post
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:27 pm 

I am afraid I don't have any experience with those guys in particular. I have the Tanaka Kurouchi nakiri, and the grind is awesome, but I understand the gyuto is a bit thicker. The only other input I might offer is the Tanaka Kurouchi is a bit rustic. I like it but fit and finish are not perfect. I find most of my Kurouchi finished knives are rustic to some degree or another, so the others you list are likely similar in this capacity, but you should know that going in.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:22 am 
Forum Moderator

I have one of the early Tanaka KU 210mm and it was a bit thick above the blade grind. I have found this with most KU gyutos. Out of those 4, I would look at the Murata; it is one of the thinner ones and shouldn't wedge as much. I have seen some of the Murata KU knives and they are a bit nicer F&F wise and with better grinds.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:11 am 

I was in a similar situation to you a little over a month ago. I had a few knives in mind, one of which being a masakage (the koishi for me) a little out of my price range. I was convinced to get masakage, and boy am I glad i did. It was freakishly sharp with a killer grind and has to be the most comfortable knife I've held. Since I got my knife i have handled a few other masakages (a shimo and a yuki) and they were both amazing. I can't see any knife coming from masakage not being worth it. So I will give you the advice given to me: if you like the masakage and haven't ruled it out because of the price, then get the knife you really want. You'll just keep looking at it if you don't. If you are looking for permission to click buy it now then I'm giving it to you. You won't regret it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:22 pm 

B.B.C I'm glad you are happy. I knew you would be. They are just amazing knives. You mentioned you wanted a heavier knife. I don't know if you have any other jknives, but if you don't, you will find they are freakishly light compared to what you are used to. For push cutting look for the flatter profile, a little less belly. Yes, if the masakage calls to you, get it. For a purchase like this, what's another $15. I don't have experience with the first two you listed, but I would spring for the masakage. They are very well made knives. I think you'd be very happy with it. Like bbc said, it's not a kioshi, but I can't imagine the steel, grind etc, not to be anything less than outstanding.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]