It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:43 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Konosuke Fujiwara 240 or the Takeda Sasanoho 240
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:22 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

I'm still on the hunt for a 240 gyuto.

Have narrowed choices to either the Konosuke Fujiwara 240 or the Takeda Sasanoho 240.. What is the edge profile on the Fujiwara?

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Konosuke Fujiwara 240 or the Takeda Sasanoho 240
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:23 pm 
Site Admin

They both are ground evenly on both sides.

I have a hard time recommending anything against the Konosuke Fujiwaras. They're special.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:53 pm 
Forum Moderator

Oh man....I couldn't really pick between them.

I'd have to pick based on something like whether I wanted a polish look or a KU look. AS steel, or whatever the steel in the Konosuke you're looking at.

Both are great knives.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:26 am 

I have exactly zero experience with Takedas, but can state the Konosuke Fujiwaras are incredible. I was disappointed at barely missing out on a Funayuki Gyuto 240 mm Aogami and "settled" for the 240 White #1. You just could not possibly go wrong with one. They are museum quality pieces, handle like a dream, and take a simply incredible edge. Beautiful, beautiful knives.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:43 pm 

I have a little experience with Takedas, and I like them, but for a general use gyuto, I love my Kono Fuji!

FYI, we're talking about the FujiYAMA line here (just don't want to confuse people).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:32 pm 

I was slightly confused at first as well Todd, had to look it up, the funyuki is listed as fugiwara all others are fugiyama. I actually have this exact knife. Like others have said it is extremely exceptional. I also have a takeda, but not in a gyuto. The profiles of the two you listed are similar, however the blade height on the takeda is shorter. It's a little too short for my liking, but this is just personal preference. I would recommend the kono. Having said that, if you are ok with the blade height on the takeda I think you'd be happy with it as well. They are both excellent knives and the rest are just esthetics. Which one do you like the best? I'm a big fan of both lines, but for a gyuto I think the kono wins.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:22 pm 

Hey all,
I'm the one that originally asked Mark about these two knives. Is the Konosuke clad in stainless, or is it all Blue #2? I really like the look of a knife with patina. I have a Takeda petty right now and like the kuroichi finish, but have to stay on top of it to prevent rust on the blade surface. Would be nice to have a carbon steel knife that can be cleaned back to the original surface if necessary.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:24 pm 
Site Admin

The Konosuke is clad in reactive soft iron so it will patina on the entire blade.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]