It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:58 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Masakge Yuki and Goko Gyuto
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:31 am 

After a lot of deliberation I ended up buying the Masakage Yuki Gyuto. Turns out, my wife also bought the Goko for a Christmas present, so now I have both. Figured I'd give some thoughts....

The Masakage is a really pretty knife, and the finish is great. The ferrule and handle are sanded so there is virtually no noticeable joint. Handle is natural and untreated, giving it a nice clean look. The blade is really pretty too.

The Goko is a nice looking blade, pictures don't do it justice. My only complaint is that the ferrule is shiny/plasticy, and the fit with the handle isn't nearly as good as the Masakage. The handle is a bit darker with a semi-gloss that I like a lot.

OOTB sharpness goes hands down to the Goko. Ridiculously sharp. Shaves hair off my arm with ease. The Masakage is sharp, but I suspect it can get much better with a bit of time on the stones. Being a beginner I'm doing some practice before I attempt any sharpening.

All in all very happy with both. I'd love to see Goko change the ferrule...even now its a fantastic knife and I can't stress how sharp it is...incredible.Glad I didn't have to choose just one! :D

Post subject: Re: Masakge Yuki and Goko Gyuto
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:22 am 

Keep that woman! LOL ;)

Sounds like you had a VERY nice Christmas indeed! :D

Even though I don't have it... yet... the plastic ferrule is about the only negative thing I can think of on the Goko. Given that the handle isn't all that important to me it is definitely not something that will deter me from buying one. I want it for the blade. :) That being said, the Masakage Yuki line of knives are VERY sexy looking... blades, handles, everything. If they perform half as good as they look... WOW! lol

Post subject: Re: Masakge Yuki and Goko Gyuto
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:02 am 

Definately agree the Yuki is a fantastic looking knife the picture does,nt do it justice.
I was very impressed when i first opened the box

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]