It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:22 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Good bread knife for crusty bread
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:29 pm 
Site Admin

Hi -

My name is Jason and I am small production artisanal baker of sourdough breads and pizzas. I bought both the TOJIRO ITK bread knife and the Kohetsu Aogami Gyuto about 3 months ago. I have used both knives just about every day since then. While the Kohetsu has been a wonder - both in durability and laser-like performance, the Tojiro has been a total disappointment - especially considering near unanimous positive reviews on the site.

The breads I make have substantial crusts and the Tojiro is unable to get through them without dulling and worse - tearing the crumb. My guess is that the steel is insufficiently hard, and to me the rounded serrations aren't particularly helpful. Compare with the Kramer designed Shun (reserve) and Henckels (kramer) bread knives which have pointed, variable-sized serrations and a harder steel. These are considered the gold standard for cutting thick crusted loaves, but they are very expensive (retail around 400$). Nevertheless, they work, while the Tojiro doesn't. Maybe you guys can find a line of knives similar to the Kramer design for hearth loaves. And perhaps, note that for hearth loaves cooked at high heat the Tojiro simply won't do.

Jason

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Good bread knife for crusty bread
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jason,

Do you make cookies? :) I've been know to trade steel for treats.... hahahah

Have you checked out my knife? I designed it with the same excellent profile as the Tojiro ITK but with pointy serrations and much better steel called AEB-L that has better heat treatment and is not that much more money. Check it out. at 1/4 the price of the Kramer I think it might work for you. I think it works much better than the ITK for crusty bread.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riarbrkn27.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:48 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Artifex Bread knife has the pointy serrations and would work much better on the harder, crustier breads.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:03 pm 

I make my own bread from time to time using "Artisan bread in 5 mins a day" which produces a bread with a hard crust, and I use Marks knife. I'll see if I can do a cutting video. I don't recall any problem's.

Todd in Chicago

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:57 am 

I havent tried the one that Mark linked but I got one from Tojiro that Im happy with, works really well on those hard and crispy bread surface. I get all my bread from
my gf work, they are baked harder than most ppl are used to, but the taste is unbelievable ;)

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]