It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:03 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Picking a Gyuto
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:17 am 

1. Are you right handed? Yes
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..) Gyuto
3. What size knife are you looking for? 210mm
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel? Carbon steel
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle? Japanese Handle
6. How much did you want to spend? [b]Under $150[/b]
7. Do you know how to sharpen? Yes

Hi! I own several Henckel Four Stars, but I'm interested in buying a gyuto. I tend to spend a lot of time researching what thing, in this case a knife, is the best for my money at a given price. I really like the darker wooden handles, but what's most important is its performance. I kind of have a list of which knives I think are good, but I looking to see if any of them have a clear advantage over the others. If there are other knives I left off that are just as good or better, please let me know about those as well. Also, while I would like to stay under $150, I would be open to a slightly more expensive knife if it was really worth it. I look forward to your responses.

Knives I am looking at right now:

Kajihara Kurouchi Gyuto 210mm - http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tskakugy21.html
Murata Buho Gyuto 210mm - http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mugy21.html
Itto-Ryu Hammered 210 Gyuto White #2 - http://www.chefknivestogo.com/itha210gy.html
Tanaka Kurouchi 210mm Wa-Gyuto - http://www.chefknivestogo.com/taku21wa.html
Goko Gyuto 210mm - http://www.chefknivestogo.com/gokogyuto210mm.html
Kohetsu Aogami Super 210mm Gyuto - http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rikoaosu21gy.html (Slightly more than I want to spend, but it seems like it's an excellent knife)
Richmond Laser Aogami Super 210mm Gyuto - http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rilaaosu21gy.html (I included this because in the video review for the 240mm the reviewer said it was the best knife he had used all year)

Post subject: Re: Picking a Gyuto
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:00 pm 
Forum Moderator

Kohetsu 210mm is an awesome blade! Very thin, cuts like a laser! The AS Laser, Goko and Tanaka Sekiso 210mm are also very nice blades, too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

You get an A+ for your first post and the information you provided. That makes it much easier to help give recommendations that will work for you. :)

The kohetsu and laser are my favorites out of that group but you picked good knives and all of them would be fun for you to use.

I would add the kono white #2 to your list. It's a little over your price budget but close enough that you should consider it. They're very thin and use good steel and have excellent fit and finish:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/konosuke1.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

For knives on your list under $150, IMO the Goko wins hands down for performance, stainless over great White #1 core, etc. It's a lot of knife for the money. At the lower price group, I'd probably pick the Tanaka Kurouchi or the Buho.

Also IMO at about the $150 mark, you should also seriously consider the Tanaka Sekiso Damascus 210 Gyuto: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tanakagyuto2.html. It's an all reactive blade, no stainless, but it's got great grinds, profile, F & F, looks. It's a really nice knife.

The Richmond AS Laser 210 would get my vote for best knife out of the entire group if you want to spend the money - it's awesome!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:41 pm 

I am looking to get a Goko myself, and from the looks of the knife it is built like a workhorse but is ground thin behind the edge so it performs like a laser. So it should be a good sturdy blade with great cutting performance. Plus it is made from white #1 steel which seems to be legendary for its ease of sharpening. lol

If I didn't have my heart set on a Goko I would probably get the Kohetsu. Stainless clad aogami super with what looks to be an excellent grind, buffalo horn ferrule instead of plastic (the Goko still has a plastic ferrule but that is not a deciding factor for me), and not too much over $150... very, very nice buy. It looks like it is out of stock now but still an excellent knife for the price.

Also something else to consider that I have only recently started thinking about... the Goko is taller at almost 53mm while the Kohetsu is a more "standard" 45mm tall. I prefer a taller blade for a few reasons after using a 43mm tall gyuto, but thankfully due to my grip knuckle clearance isn't one of them. However if you have largish hands and use a racket grip you might find knuckle clearance to be an issue with 43-45mm tall gyutos. If you use a pinch grip they might just feel small for lack of a better word which was my issue with the 43mm tall gyuto, so if I did get a Kohetsu it would likely be one of the longer gyutos. Then again that is just personal preference. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:53 pm 

The best advice I can give you from a list like that is go with the one that just speaks to for some reason. The one you just keep going back to!
You won't be disappointed in any of them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:01 pm 
Forum Moderator

Great advice Jeff. That's what let me to getting the Masakage Yuki 210 Gyuto as my 1st really nice knife purchase. I don't regret it for a second. I love it every time it use it. That Yuki and I are best buds ITK :-).

Def - the Kohetsu's are awesome, but IMO the Goko White #1's have more character.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:44 pm 

Thank you all so much for the great feedback! With all your guy's help, I think I've narrowed it down to either the Kohetsu, the Goko, or the Tanaka Sekiso that BrianG recommended. This is a good thing and a bad thing. I'm going to have a lot harder time picking one of these three. :D

I really like the look of the Damascus blade on the Tanaka Sekiso. Since I've been looking at Japanese knives, I have always liked the Damascus blades. I want the knife to stand out compared to my Henckels. Although, it will stand out regardless, but I think you get the point I'm trying to make.

The Kohetsu keeps me coming back to it because of its stellar reviews. Also, I think it's the next best looking of the three.

The Goko is probably my least favorite in terms of looks. The think that struck me about it are its chestnut handle, and the video where it just slides through that tomato effortlessly.

Looking at their specs again, I've noted that all three use a different carbon steel. Is there any real difference between the White #1, Aogami Super, and Blue #2?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:13 pm 
Forum Moderator

Some of this will depend on how much skill you have as a sharpener, but:

Goko White #1 will be the easiest to sharpen and some people say White #1 can get the sharpest of all the carbon steels. This knife has a HRC of 60, so it will be a little more forgiving.

Tanaka Blue #2 is kind of in between the 3, with somewhat better edge retention than White #1, still easy to sharpen. It's also around HRC 60 - not too hard.

Kohetu Aogami Blue Super is the hardest at 63-64 Rockwell and has the best edge retention. Takes a little more work to sharpen (not that much) and is a bit less forgiving being very thin at the edge and also harder steel.

If you're in a home environment, I wouldn't stress too much about which steel. Pick the knife you like the best - all of them will be great performers.

I think the various height of the blades might be more important to you than the steel. As DefMunky mentioned, the Goko is quite tall for a 210 at 53mm, the Tanaka is in the middle at 48, and the Kohetsu is the shortest at 45mm. If you have larger, meatier hands, you might like a 48mm or taller blade. If you don't, then the 45mm shouldn't be an issue for you on the Kohetsu.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:31 pm 

Thanks for the information! I'd say I have medium size hands. They're definitely not big, so I have a feeling knuckle clearance isn't going to be an issue. Also, SteveG I apologize for calling you BrianG in my other post. I had just woken up.

Page 1 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next