It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:12 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Advice needed
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:23 pm 

1. Are you right handed? Yes
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..) Gyuto
3. What size knife are you looking for? 240
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel? Stainless,not clad, not chippy or brittle
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle? Japanese Handle
6. How much did you want to spend? Under 200
7. Sharpening? I know how to sharpen. Currently have 1000 6000 stones

I have a few henckles for home and work with an 8in wusthof classic. I'm looking for a gyuto that I can use to handle most everything from home to work.

Really like the masamoto vg but am wondering what other options are recommended. I prefer the German profile, could be convinced otherwise, and a nice sized western handle. I already have plenty of beater/entry level knives.

Post subject: Re: Advice needed
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:40 pm 

Hmmmm... in the "questionnaire" you mention Japanese handles but in the text beneath you mention western handles. I do see that you mention the Masamoto VG series which has a western handle though. I guess long story short, which type of handle do you prefer? lol :P

If wa handles (traditional Japanese) are an option, I'll point you to a 240mm gyuto in the Sakai Takayuki damascus series: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satadagy240.html

AEB-L is a fine grain stainless able to take a very nice edge. It was made for razors after all. ;) The blade is technically clad, but it is fully stainless. You should have no reactivity issues with the edge like you would a carbon core/stainless clad knife. Should be easy to sharpen as well and with an RC of 60 it should be fairly tough (not frozen food tough!) and hard without being brittle. Plus it is quite the looker and should handily out perform any western/German knives you have while being lighter than an equivalent gyuto with a western handle. :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:19 am 

Western handle. Oops

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:21 am 
Forum Moderator

The Masamoto VG 240 Gyuto (http://www.chefknivestogo.com/masamoto-chef-knife.html) is a very good knife. Tell us more about your cutting style. Rocking, push cutting, gliding, chopping, or a combination? You say you like German profile. Just curious why, so we have more info for recommendations.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:40 am 

Mostly rocking and and the push cut, and even a glide. but I don't really chop ever and don't care for it much. I'm still open to change and improvement amongst the others though

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:50 am 
Forum Moderator

I think you'd really like the Masamoto VG 240. It's got a versatile profile. Flatter than a full-on German profile, but with some belly. Check out the video on the product page - I should show the edge profile in there somewhere for comparison.

BTW, your forum name makes me think of that song "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" :-).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:26 am 

Thanks for that. Any other ideas out there??

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:47 am 

Another good option, Sakai Takayuki Grand Chef: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satagrch24gy.html

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]