It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:52 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: 3 pc set wanted.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:12 pm 
Site Admin

Would like to purchase a 3 pieces. My first set of nice kitchen knives . I have heard that Shun and Wusthof make great ones. I am open for suggestions. I am left handed if that makes a difference. Budget is under $500.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: 3 pc set wanted.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:15 pm 
Site Admin

Hi David,

I prefer Shun to Wusthof in general. Try this shun set if you would like to try them and you're right handed: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kekn3pcset.html

I think you could do better with your money. Why not try something like this Konosuke. Then, if you like it you can come back and add a petty: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ko24wa.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:17 am 

there's also the tojiro 3 pc. set as well.

=D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:09 pm 

+1 on the konosuke. The one mark linked to is a 240mm. Don't let the bigger size hinder you. I have the 210mm in had steel and it seems somewhat small for a 210. I still like it, but sometimes wish I had gotten the 240. I don't know if the HH line uses the same measurement system, I would assume it does. Maybe mark or someone who has an HH could chime in on this. Anyway the 240 is in stock and konosuke are GREAT knives. One of the very best you'll find on the site.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:32 pm 
Forum Moderator

Red - the HD2 and HH lines are virtually identical except for the different steel. The 210 can feel pretty small. I'd go for the 240 in this particular knife.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:22 pm 

Konosukes tend to run a little small (or maybe their measurements include the neck, not just the cutting edge). My 240 is more like 232ish. Plus the lightness of the HD2 and HH lines make them handle more nimbly.

IMO, my general recommendation is that you should spend more on a gyuto, and less on the other two. You might want to be more specific in terms of the types for the other two that you are considering. petty? paring? slicer? something else?

Here are the knife recommendation questions that will give people more info to guide you:
1. Are you right handed?
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..)
3. What size knife are you looking for?
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel?
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle?
6. How much did you want to spend?
7. Do you know how to sharpen?

Please post your requests for a recommendation as a new topic and either I or other forum members will give you their opinion on which knife to buy.
Hopefully it will generate arguments that will entertain and inform you. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:29 am 

I have heard that Shun and Wusthof make great ones.

I used to think so, too. It's marketing hype. Wüsthof isn't even high-carbon steel, I found out much to my embarrassment. I had to sharpen them sometimes twice during one cutting session.

Once you go Konosuke, you never go back. There are other brands, but oh those Konosukes...I have the Nakiri in HD2. My only complaint is that it isn't White #1 steel, like my Fujiyama Gyuto, which takes an incredible edge and develops a nice patina, too.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]