It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:15 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Looking for a gift for my lefty pro friend.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:02 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks so much for your answer. I will be picking up that saya but I have an additional question... as I might be buying another knife with it.

I hate to be a bother, but I've been spending a large amount of hours studying knives and sharpening, as well as researching maintenance tools and I've found your online videos to be amazingly helpful and instructive. So maybe I can pick your brain a tiny bit and give you a little more business?

My best friend is progressing in his cooking career, but has been working his way up and up and I don't think ever had a really good proper knife. He had his knives stolen recently, and also got a new job so I want to find a good knife for him as a gift. I've done some research and i'm told that HE _needs_ to go hold and feel his own knife. I completely understand the validity in that sentiment, but I think I can do a decent job from afar and surprise him all the same.

Tricky part: He's left-handed. He considers himself ambidextrous, and we throw darts at a local pub often enough for me to HATE that claim because it's somewhat true. But he was telling me tonight that his chef suggested he use a knife that my friend couldn't work with. And when I asked more questions, it turns out it was a Japanese knife and his chef didn't realize my friend is left-handed.

SO!

I'd like to ask you -- Can you recommend something for my friend as a specifically left-handed knife, in the 200.00 range, that will not require him to study up on Japanese knives and sharpening techniques? Or would it be fair for me to buy him something he can use in his kitchen at a more affordable price, and give him a year of sharpening at a local place where he can both learn about care of a knife or whatnot?

I have to say, i'm rather partial to gifting him this knife: http://www.cutleryandmore.com/product_view.asp?id=26443 as it has a double bevel and a decent angle and would probably last hime awhile. but you guys rock and i'd like to give you my business if I can.
I hope this lengthy email isn't out of line, but maybe you guys can give me some ideas as to whether I should even bother trying to get him a left-handed knife without him feeling it or holding it. Or if I can just get him a good Wusthof 10" chef's knife and have that work for him. I want this blade to last him, but I don't want to give him the equivalent of a pet he doesn't know how, or have the time, to take care of.

Again, thanks for your time!

-jeff

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Post subject: Re: Looking for a gift for my lefty pro friend.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:07 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jeff,

The Shun is a nice knife but it's not ideal for your friend for a couple reasons. First, it has a D shaped handle so it might feel wierd in his hand. We have the knife at the same price here if you want it:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/sh10ancl8ch.html

I think it would be WAY more fun to give him something he's never heard. Try this, it's less money and I think he'll be impressed. It's also lefty friendly since the grind is more or less even on the blade and it has a neutral octagonal handle: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rikoaosu24gy.html

If you think he might enjoy a western handled knife instead try this one. It's uses the same steel combination of both stainless and aogami super steel as the Kohetsu but with a western handle:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/higykn24.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:24 am 

Wow, that suggestion looks perfect, and exactly what I was hoping for.

I feel pretty excited about giving him this blade and I trust that he will get some good use out of it.

I also just recently received the Tojiro ITK Kiritsuke I'd ordered from you for myself, and I have to say I couldn't be happier.

The edge it came with is gorgeous, from what I was used to. I'm hoping to learn more about these japanese knives, and sharpening, and for the price, this knife is amazing. To be honest, I bought two knives at the same time, thinking, the "affordable" 80.00 blade would be a good one to practice my sharpening skills with and be a kind of safe buffer-zone instead of screwing up a 250.00 blade. But it's such an awesome knife I really want to just honor it, and hopefully with a few more knives, be able to build a collection where I won't have to replace or buy new knives for the rest of my life.

I'm definitely going to be taking you up on your suggestion with the Gyuto and try to not 'borrow it back' from him.

You guys have been awesome. Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:17 pm 
Site Admin

You're very welcome Jeff. PS the Kohetsu 240 is in limited supply at them moment. I think I have 7 left on the shelf. We'll get lots more in about a month.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:36 am 

Actually, I feel like the Gesshin Ginga 210 wa-petty that I have is going to see some great use --

And the kiritsuke I received from you I hope to be a good learning? knife --

After a little study, today, I rounded the spine and choil on your kiritsuke myself. That was my first time doing anything of the sort -- but quick, instant results, before I get into more serious sharpening or tweaking, but given that, I kind of had my eye on something more this for my own next knife. :

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mayugy21.html

I'm looking around for something in the same vein, but with more heft than the new petty knife. I would like to stay away from western handles, for myself. But I know there are a million choices so I'll probably just be studying and researching for quite awhile while I get more comfortable to working with the kiritsuke.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]