It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:33 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Once again, with personality
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:24 pm 

In the last few months I purchased my first knives in the mid-higher price range. I picked up the Anryu Hammered 240mm gyuto and the Takumi Ikeda 240mm KS clone. So not that I can never go back....

What hand made, high personality knives do you guys love?

Never mind weight, grind, steel type; lets assume a $100-400 knife of reasonably high quality, what knives do you own or have handled that have a soul, you can feel the maker in the blade?

PS I am not in the market at the moment, but many of the recommendation request deal with measures of performance, I just want to know what, in the offering, moves you.

Post subject: Re: Once again, with personality
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:39 pm 

For me the answer jumped out with total clarity...

Takeda.

I have custom handled 240 gyuto and nakiri, both from Mark, and both are awesome. Others have said, and I concur, there is something special about those knives.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:55 am 

Konosuke Fujiyama White #1 240 mm Gyuto.
Konosuke HD Nakiri.
Masakage Koishi 150 mm Petty.

My first three Japanese knives, and I'm batting a thousand so far. I had a Sabatier set a loooong time ago- and which prompted a long stare from a chef friend of mine who wasn't used to see such things in the houses of mere mortals - but I was not as enlightened as much then as I am now, and they got left behind in the divorce like some other things I wish I had held on to, like my vinyl.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:48 pm 

I too would have to honorably mention my kono Fujiyama, and massakage kioshi. If asked what is my best knife, I would answer the kono. However, I would have to concur that my answer to this question would be without hesitation, my takeda suji. The pictures of this knife do not do it justice.
It almost has a wabi sabi sense about it. Imperfect perfection. The blade looks as if it was hammered out and just ground to create the cutting edge. Some other kurochi finished knives I have, look as if they were ground flat, heated up and hammered again to purposely look hand hammered on the top halt then dipped into the clay. I don't know if that is correct or not, but the takeda has an undistinguishable crackle appearance. This is in high contrast to the very high level of fit and finish, as well as an extremely high quality handle.
What knife would I expect to reverently tell me how it was forged and born out of the blacksmiths hands? The Takeda....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:18 pm 
Forum Moderator

Cool post, Red!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:44 pm 

Takedas have an almost indescribable magik to them. Completely agree with RedWattle.

Love that name by the way!

I think I've only had Red Wattle once, but I believe there is a farm in Illinois that has these.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:52 pm 

Thanks Steve. Todd, I'm impressed you know what that is. I happen to be fortunate enough to have RW bacon every morning for breakfast. I see your in Chicago. I am within driving distance if you need some, or other high end cuts. Just pm me. I don't want to high jack the thread. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:26 pm 

Red Wattle? I just thought you were a fat guy with high blood pressure.

Welcome to the family!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:28 pm 

Tall dark and swarfy, you must be my wife. Lol...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:38 pm 

I need to learn how to post smilies from my iPhone or one day a mod is gonna have a word with me. My sense if humor dumps me in the poo with great regularity.

But now you have me curious about this bacon.

Cheers,

Rick

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next