It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:46 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Hiromoto or Takemura?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:50 pm 
Site Admin

Hi there

I am a huge fan of your site! I'm in the market for a new Chef knife. Right now I have my eye on the Hiromoto Gyuto 240mm, or the Takamura Migaki R-2 Gyuto 210mm. I have been using a Takamura R2 demacus petty (130mm) and really like it but was curious to try a AS, I'm particularly draw to the patina it can develop. I do sharpen my own knives with wetstones. I was wondering how dose the R2 compare with AS, in ease of resharpening and edge retention? I was also wondering if you guys would have matching Saya for the knife that I finally choose? Also in the AS knives with the stainless steel Clad, how much of the cutting core dose it expose? with constant sharpening would the blade eventually wear down to the clad? Dose the patina surviving the grinding of a wet stone?

I know this is a lot of questions but I greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

John

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Hiromoto or Takemura?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:53 pm 
Site Admin

The Takamura is new and it's really nice. I would choose it over the Hiromoto if you are ok with the smaller size. It's thin, attractive with better handle and better fit and finish. The steel is comparable but stainless so you won't get patina on it. If you choose either 210mm gyuto saya with the knife we will match them up and make sure you get one that fits reasonably well.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:23 pm 

...Its also out of stock :(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:18 pm 
Forum Moderator

I was wondering how dose the R2 compare with AS, in ease of resharpening and edge retention?

- Quite different species really. R2 is a powdered stainless, AS is a carbon. R2 is more difficult to sharpen and should hold an edge longer. I've rarely personally tested edge retention enough to say with absolute certainly.....but I've heard/read enough from people who have to feel comfortable with the statement. We're not talking night and day difference though. AS is no slouch in edge retention and R2 isn't a complete bear to sharpen.

Also in the AS knives with the stainless steel Clad, how much of the cutting core dose it expose?

- Not much....1/4" maybe....it's a wavy line

with constant sharpening would the blade eventually wear down to the clad?

- Yes and no.....first, under home use this would take many years. Second, even if you do sharpen enough to get into the cladding, the knife isn't ruined. The AS core runs through the blade, so as you sharpen you remove the cladding, exposing the AS core. If you do have the knife that long you will be thinning the knife.....errr, getting technical. This isn't an issue, me doesn't think, you should be concerned with. :) Please, let me know if you want the complete technical answer.

Dose the patina surviving the grinding of a wet stone?

- The patina is only a surface reaction, so no, it will not survive grinding. You will probably leave part of the patina on the upper exposed core, but the edge where you sharpen will be bright again.

I might recommend a solid carbon knife.....you seem to be somewhat curious about carbon knives:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/misono4.html

Really great knife....carbon isn't that big an issue to take care of.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:01 am 

Coming from a pure performance perspective I would say the takamura. Many other members probably want me to shut it right about now, but I can't stop preaching how great of a knife this is. The steel has phenomenal edge retention compared to your average carbon steel (AS is a different story) It isn't the easiest to sharpen but boy does it take a scary edge.

AS sharpens up faster and will hold the edge nearly as long as R2. This being said the takamura is a monosteel knife which for me changes the feel in terms of rigidity in the spine and flexibility.

The takamura is one hot knife and IMO the only downside is they only offer it up to 210mm in size. MAKE A 240 PLEASE!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:55 pm 

Lunatic said: the Takamura is mono steel knife which for me changes the feel in terms of rigidity in the spine and flexibility. I know the Takamura is a thin blade does it have much blade flex as a result?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:15 pm 

Far be it from me to contradict someone who owns one, but now I am curious. The Takamura R-2 looks like a clad knife from the photos, with a visible difference between the finish on the hagane and jigane. Is it not so??

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:30 pm 

I thought they were clad.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:32 pm 

Estayton, I am pretty sure that the blade is clad also with a softer steel.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:48 pm 

I really got to stop posting late at night.....

It does look like it's clad I haven't found any info saying if it is or not. But the two tone look from the primary bevel and face of the blade would dictate it's clad.

Either way, this knife feels like a monosteel knife.

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next