It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:04 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: 150 stainless petty with 50/50 bevel
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:29 pm 

I'm left handed and have a reverse beveled misono UX10. For a petty, I find the offset bevel annoying, it just won't cut straight. I have read that these knives don't take well to an even bevel. Looking for a similar quality knife with a stock 50/50 bevel. I do love the Artifex, which is a fantastic knife at less than half the price, but was interested in other opinions.

Post subject: Re: 150 stainless petty with 50/50 bevel
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:48 pm 

Fujiwara Nashiji 150mm Petty: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fujiwara4.html
This knife makes me shiver in my boots! Crazy good grind. The white #1 at this hardness is absolutely awesome!
Falls through food and has all kinds of personality. Never thought I'd get this excited over a petty.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:38 pm 

Looks like a good option. Beautiful knife. Can anyone confirm if this is a 50/50 bevel? It would be atypical of this style of knife, and it doesn't say in the specs.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:43 pm 

It is a 50/50 grind.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:38 pm 

So, I will put my $0.02 in. I am also predominately a lefty, so I feel your pain.

I was looking for a 150mm petty a few months back. I posted a query like you. After lurking on these boards for a number of months, I kinda formulated an appreciation for a few frequent contributors who had opinions and habits similar to mine, and had a lot more experience with the breadth of knives on CKTG and other retail sites. Two such contributors told me to get Fujiwara Nashiji 150mm Petty: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fujiwara4.html. It was $50 beyond my target range. I compromised on another petty with tons of character and really nice fit and finish, and it was $10 or so above my target price.

After holding one of the Nashiji knives from a friend (albeit not a petty, but I gotta believe that the fit and finish and 'character' of the blade translates from one type to another), I feel like a fool for not spending the extra cash. Moreover, compared to the pricing for the 240mm gyuto, the 150mm petty is a bargain.

As for grinds, most pettys I have seen are more or less 50/50. If you ask Mark at CKTG, he can double check for you.

Last, that UX10 you have - did you have it sharpened over to 70/30, left hand bias? I believe they come out of the box 70/30, right hand bias. Just curious. I have frequently used a UX10 gyuto that had been re-ground to 50/50, and had no problems with it steering.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:52 pm 

I was cautioned against it when I purchased my first Misono some years ago and have since read the same in other forums, but I've never really understood why it is OK to sharpen them on a reverse bevel but not a 50/50. I think I have little to lose by trying it on my existing knife first.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:39 pm 

I recently got a Fujiwara nashiji--it is very nice, and cuts really well. Since the OP originally was seeking stainless, I wanted to point out that these knives have a carbon core with SS cladding.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:01 am 

Funkspieler wrote:I was cautioned against it when I purchased my first Misono some years ago and have since read the same in other forums, but I've never really understood why it is OK to sharpen them on a reverse bevel but not a 50/50. I think I have little to lose by trying it on my existing knife first.

Yeah, that is curious. There are some very talented sharpeners on this forum who might have reversed the bevel or evened to a 50/50 on a UX10 that could chime in. Maybe post something over on Sharpening Q&A?

I purchased a Masamoto VG gyutou recently and Mark (CKTG) offered to have someone in house reverse the bevel from 70/30 right bias to 70/30 left bias, but suggested I just use it as is and see how it went. Maybe push towards 50/50 or all the way to 70/30 left bias if I had problems. Shortly after coming in I tuned it up a bit with 1000/3000/6000 stones, keeping it 70/30 righty. Been a few months, but no problems with steering.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]