It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:36 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Kono HD reactivity question
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:43 pm 

I'm considering a swap from my Richmond AEB-L 210 gyuto. If I end up picking up something different the reactiveness for this particular knife will play as significant role in the decision as the edge retention. I'm a home cook. One of my favorite things about the Richmond is the ability to let it sit on the cutting board during dinner or possibly meal prep for 30-60 minutes and not have to worry about wiping it down. I don't leave my knives out dirty longer than that and certainly not wet. They get cleaned, dried and put away.

How would the Kono HD's semi-stainless handle this situation?

I'm open to other options as well, but not interested in a stainless clad knife with a reactive edge for this particular knife. I really like the weight and relative profile of what I have as well.

I've looked at the Sakai Takayuki, but the price is more than I'd like to spend. I won't rule it out though if it comes down to it.

Wa handle.

Post subject: Re: Kono HD reactivity question
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:05 pm 
Forum Moderator

Snipes - do you have the Richmond Laser or Artifex Gyuto? Also, which particular Sakai Takayuki are you looking at?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:44 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Kono HD would handle that well....but maybe not great. The worst you're likely to get is if it's left for that long with strong acidic foods and you'll get some graying of the blade.

Are you after a knife with better edge retention, or just a new toy?

Something like the Kamo with it's R-2 would have good edge retention:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kamo.html

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:46 pm 

SteveG wrote:Snipes - do you have the Richmond Laser or Artifex Gyuto? Also, which particular Sakai Takayuki are you looking at?

Steve, I have the laser and was looking at the Damascus Sakai.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:53 pm 

Adam Marr wrote:The Kono HD would handle that well....but maybe not great. The worst you're likely to get is if it's left for that long with strong acidic foods and you'll get some graying of the blade.

Are you after a knife with better edge retention, or just a new toy?

Something like the Kamo with it's R-2 would have good edge retention:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kamo.html

Greying of the blade is fine and from what I've read that is kind of what I expected. I just wasn't sure how quickly that set in. I'm after a knife with better edge retention. While I'm certainly not ruling out user error, the very sharp edge I can put on the laser just doesn't seem to stay there very long. End grain maple board, etc. I'm disappointed, because I love the everything else about the knife. Now that I've seen my wife pull it out of the drawer once or twice lately it's all the more reason I want to stay with something that has the same type of characteristics.

Interesting call with the Kamo and I have caught myself looking at it online before. I don't have any experience with the R-2 steel or the silver3 or whatever it's called for that matter.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:23 pm 
Forum Moderator

Snipes - If you don't mind, I for one would like to know more about the edge you're putting on the laser, etc. I'm not saying that you're doing anything wrong - I'm just throwing out a few questions to get the picture of your scenario. Mark sure won't mind your getting another knife, but if the group here can maybe pinpoint one or more things that would extend your edge retention, why not?

How much prep/cooking do you do?

How long is your current sharpened edge lasting?

What is your sharpening routine? (Bevel angle, stone grit progression, strops, etc.)

How do you maintain between sharpenings and how often? (Strops, ceramic rods, etc.)

Is there any possibility that you're hitting the edge with abrasive scubber pads, etc. while cleaning? Just asking :-).

Anything else you can tell us about knife use habits, etc?

Thanks Snipes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:48 pm 

snipes wrote:...Now that I've seen my wife pull it out of the drawer once or twice lately...

I hope with an edge guard on it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:37 pm 

I'm happy to discuss my habits and if it turns out to be me, even better.

How much prep/cooking do you do?
home cook, probably 5 nights /wk. a couple of which the knife in question gets used. Typical meals around here include pork tenderloins, cutting onions, slicing/dicing chicken breasts, tomatoes.

How long is your current sharpened edge lasting? On this knife it's hard to say, let's call it 10 sessions before I notice a decent drop off. This last time it seemed less than that. The edges on my traditional japanese steel seem to last longer (blue, super blue) or maybe the fall off isn't so noticeable.

What is your sharpening routine? (Bevel angle, stone grit progression, strops, etc.)
EP set to 15deg, in this situation I'd start with the stock 600 and get a nice burr, then progress with 1000, switching to shapton glass 4k and 8k. No strop, though I did keep an old leather belt in the kitchen for a while. :)

How do you maintain between sharpenings and how often? (Strops, ceramic rods, etc.)
This is a hole in my setup that I know I need to address. Maybe writing all of this out will cause this to be the next move rather than a new knife.

Is there any possibility that you're hitting the edge with abrasive scubber pads, etc. while cleaning? Just asking :-).
I'm awfully careful here and the mrs. doesn't clean my knives or cast iron after meals.

Anything else you can tell us about knife use habits, etc?
I feel that I'm pretty careful and conscientious with my use, though I did make a big faux pas with this knife prior to the most recent sharpening when I got to halving the chicken breasts from the rib cage, I put away the petty and pulled this thing out to seperate the two. Don't ask me what I was thinking because while I'm not sure why I did it, there was some thought that went into which knife to pull...while I'm staring at my Henkels "hatchet". That was the exception to the norm though. I feel I get a good edge on it, deburr the edge on a cork when finished and have a loupe that I look at what I'm doing while sharpening. Again, could it be my technique either while sharpening or maintenance? possibly, maybe even likely, but after numerous months and seeing the same results with this particular knife the frustration is setting in thus the post.

Oh and to the question about an edge guard from Jeff. No edge guard. I have one of those wooden drawer racks that the knives sit in with the edges down. I'm careful putting them in and out and the mrs. has her two go to's which are not of the high maintenance variety.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:01 pm 

You use an Edge Pro and you say that your edge retention has dropped of after maybe 10 sessions. It sounds like your your biggest problem is your knife needs to be thinned.
You don't strop or use a rod between sharpenings. You need to strop or use a ceramic steel a couple times a week to maintain the edge.

Those two things will probably increase your edge sharpness and retention greatly.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:35 pm 

I agree with Jeff B- a strop might be a good place to start. I use a balsa strop with 1 micron CBN and it seems to help edges last quite a while.

Page 1 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next