It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:32 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Looking for Nakiri recommendation
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:03 pm 

I'd like to get some recommendations for a Nakiri that I want to give as a gift.

1. Are you right handed? To be used by a right handed and a left handed person. So it needs to work for both.

2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..) Nakiri

3. What size knife are you looking for? no preference

4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel? This is where it gets interesting. I'd like something that's thin, sharp and that can keep its edge well. 61 or higher Rockwell would be great. I'm not afraid of carbon; I used to have a carbon Chinese cleaver until a couple of chuckleheads tried to open a coconut with it. I think what I would like is a certain "coolness factor" as it's a gift. I like the hammered look, Damascus, etc., in other words, something that doesn't look like a Wüsthof. But I'd prefer not having any type of lacquer on it. Another consideration is that I would prefer not to have a high nickel content (I read high nickel content advertised with some Damascus knives).

Something like this:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mayuna16.html
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/naboas16.html
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tanakanakiri1.html

5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle? Japanese

6. How much did you want to spend? Up to about $300 or a little higher. But less would great!!

7. Do you know how to sharpen? Yes.

Thanks a lot!
Chris

Post subject: Re: Looking for Nakiri recommendation
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:12 pm 
Forum Moderator

My pick of your 3 listed would be the Masakage Yuki. It's a great knife and is stainless clad for lower maintenance. Only the edge steel is reactive. It's a real looker as well. Masakages are also ground 50/50, so they're ambidextrous.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:43 pm 

There are many fans of Takedas, and specifically Takeda nakiris. Not sure if the kurouchi finish fits your definition of "cool." Takedas come with a lacquer coating, which is pretty durable. I know most people recommend removing the lacquer coating with acetone, but some people make an exception for Takeda's lacquer. The kurouchi finish is one of the tougher ones as well.

I have a Tanaka petty that gets and stays sharp, and cuts well. I wasn't thrilled with the stock handle. Though that one is the cheapest of the options you listed. The carbon cladding can be a little reactive until you establish or force a patina.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:46 pm 
Site Admin

They're all good ones. I prefer the finish on the Yuki and it's less money than the Takeda. That line really works for me on a number of levels. I like the craftsmanship, the grinds, the finish and then handle. They're also reasonably priced.

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:13 pm 

Thanks for your answers! I do like the lower maintenance of the Yuki as mentioned by Steve. And Todd brought up a great point that I didn't know before and that is that you can actually remove the lacquer of the kurouchi finish. That is definitely good to know.

I just found another Masakage knife that looks really nice. Of these two, could you tell me what the differences are or are they pretty similar except for the stainless outside?

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mayuna16.html
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mashna16.html

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to the cladding? Was the second knife treated with lacquer?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:08 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Shimo series are made by a different blacksmith than the Yuki series. They have a Damascus cladding that is NOT stainless steel, meaning the entire blade will be reactive and patina with use. You still need to care for them similarly...wipe down between cutting tasks (like different ingredients) and wash/thoroughly dry immediately after a cutting session before putting away. You'll have more reactive steel to care for in the Shimo line vs. the Yuki. As far as I know, there's no lacquer on the Shimo finish - at least there wasn't on the Honesuki I got to handle.

Performance wise - the Shimo line is generally a little lighter and may be slightly better performers than the Yuki line. Check out Shaun's video on the Shimo 240 Gyuto to get an idea. The Shimo's have an interesting "X" type pattern in the Damascus from a special forging hammer developed by the blacksmith. They're both great knives - it depends on whether you want SS or carbon cladding and which one really pushes your "like" button.

You can't go wrong with either of them IMO. There's something special about the Masakage knives - you can really feel the hand crafted workmanship shining through every time you pick one up.

Last edited by SteveG on Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:09 pm 
Site Admin

The yuki has stainless cladding and the shimo does not. The shimo has a really nice damascus pattern on them but I like the nashiji finish on the yuki a little better personally. The shimo is also made by a different smith as Steve mentioned.

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:23 pm 

Thanks for the info and I also found the video. Great looking knifes.

I had both knives up on my screen, very casually, and the Yuki definitely got the better feedback.

So now I'm jut hoping you'll get it back in before Christmas! :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:18 am 

I have the Kanehiro wa nakiri and it is made by the same blacksmith as the yuki ,that may also
be an option .I also like the yuki its a great looking knife

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:46 pm 
Forum Moderator

Chris - This Katsushige Anryu Nakiri is made by one of the Masakage blacksmiths. He does the Mizu and Kumo lines for them: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kaanasna16.html.

It's stainless clad with Blue #2 core. It should be a really good performer as well.

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next