It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:47 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Looking for a petty knife
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:04 am 

I bought the Kikuichi TKC 240 Gyuto and now I am hooked. I also bought the Takeda 240 for home, and I love both of those knives. I want to get a petty that is comparable steel to the TKC.

I like both of those knives, but I do not want carbon for the petty knife. I will be using it to cut cases of Brussels sprouts, slicing strawberries for plate decorations, and cutting cherry tomatoes, so I want something small instead of the 240.

I'm not sure if there is a more popular size petty, so any recommendations would be helpful.

I'm right handed, and I have stones.

Post subject: Re: Looking for a petty knife
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:58 am 
Forum Moderator

Size is preference. I use a 150mm petty.

In semi-stainless steel you're looking at a Konosuke HD.. Bear in mind, it's a shallow knife.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:54 pm 
Forum Moderator

One of Melampus' favorite petty knives is the Kanehiro Ginsan 150: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kagipe15.html. It's stainless, has good blade height and a great profile. I'm in his camp in that I like a petty to be kind of a mini gyuto profile with some height. It gives some clearance on the cutting board. I look for 150 petty knives that are 31-34mm ish in height at the heel.

Another option might be the Shiro Kamo R2 150 Petty: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kar2pe15.html.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:47 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'm with the others in that I prefer the 150mm length.

I've heard really good things about this line of knives....although I've not seen them personally:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kiswwadape15.html

Other wise, the HD2 and the Kanehiro the other two pointed out are fantastic.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:14 pm 

The Kamo is awesome looking. I have the Kikuichi Gyuto so that petty looks nice also. The blade looks a little short and I'm not sure that I like how there is not much space between the bottom of the handle and the blade.

I am looking at all of the AS stainless clad petty knives and starting to think that I might be limiting myself from what might be a better knife by not wanting carbon at all. Any thoughts on a clad knife that might be better?

One of the things that makes me nervous about the Takeda is the metal smell I get when cutting tomatoes, or anything that reacts with it. I haven't used it that much to know if that will eventually get better. I don't plan on using this knife on the line so I would be able to keep the blade cleaner and drier more consistently.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:24 pm 

I would consider the Hiromoto Utility Knife, AS steel in stainless clad. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/hiromoto.html
Also the Masakage Yuki 150mm Petty, white #2 in stainless clad. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mayupe15.html

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:58 pm 

A petty has a small contact area with the board, will see some abuse, gets sharpened quite often, will be replaced after a relatively short time. All reasons to limit the costs. I wouldn't go beyond $80.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:01 pm 

What type of steel is the Kamo? Do any of those knives in stock have a darker handle? I like a lot of the other knives, but that one is relatively cheap and the blade aesthetics has me coming back to it.

The two that I am most drawn to are the Masakage and the Kamo. The Hiromoto seems like it might be more of a work horse, and at that price for clad AS I am hard pressed not to buy that one.

In your honest opinion between those three knives, which is the knife you would choose?

I don't know which knife is more attractive in person, the Masakage or the Kamo. I also think that if the Masakage is a better steel than that is the knife I will probably buy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:20 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Kamo uses R-2, which is a powdered metallurgical high speed tool steel. It should have quite high edge retention, but it's also wear resistant - and that means that sharpening can take longer depending on your stones. The Kamo is a real looker and it's all stainless. The 240 Gyuto I used in the Quick Look video for that knife was pretty thin behind the edge with a small primary bevel. If the 150 petty is made similarly, it should be a very good performer. Check the 240 product page for the video to get a better look at the Damascus finish on the Kamo.

The Masakage Yuki core steel is White #2, which won't have the edge retention of R-2, but it'll be very easy to sharpen. The core steel on my 210 Yuki is not terribly reactive at all once you get a bit of patina on the edge. Granted, I'm a home cook and I don't process cases of product at a time. I personally think the Yuki looks awesome, and it's quite thin behind the edge.

Don't discount the Kanehiro Ginsan 150. I hope Melampus weighs in here with his thoughts. He will provide some valuable insight from a pro perspective.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:13 pm 

I'm sure the Kamo is the better looker in person but I like the Masakage because it is so easy to sharpen. Powdered tool steel can be difficult.
The Hiromoto AS stainless clad utility I think is one of the best values on the sight. I have absolutely no experience with the Kanehiro Ginsan.

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next