It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:29 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kohetsu Santoku
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

Hi There!

Quick question from a return customer. The Kohetsu AS Santoku 180 looks shocking like a stubby gyoto rather than the typical, flat-edge, non-daggar tip shape that is often used for this “style” of knife (although I know Santoku’s can vary wildly).

I’m actually interested in a shorter “gyoto” style knife rather than a Santoku. Pettys don’t quite have the heel depth I’m looking for, but some other shorter knives don’t quite have the tip I want (I’d like to be able to de-stem or core the tops of tomatoes and peppers, for example). To give you a sense, I’m actually looking for something like a large honesuki almost. This knife looks like a good combination of both, but it is hard to tell form the pictures. Could you provide me with some more description as to the blade shape and if you designed it for the purpose I’m describing? I think it might be “the one."

If something else comes to mind, like a very versatile honesuki, or a particular petty (or even a shorter gyoto), feel free to make a suggestion! FYI, I have the larger Tojiro honesuki but it is too heavy, flat, and thick for the type of multi-purpose function that I’m looking for.

As always, thanks!
Joe

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Kohetsu Santoku
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:39 pm 
Site Admin

Yes it is kind of a hybrid shape between a gyuto and a santoku. It's also light and uses great steel so I think it will work for you.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Kohetsu Santoku
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:57 pm 
Forum Moderator

A double bevel Funayuki, like the Yamashin 165mm, is very versatile for general small use. A little shorter than the 180mm Kohetsu, but still works well! Good knuckle clearance and also more of a tip than the blunter santoku's. I use mine instead of a petty or for smaller cutting tasks.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]