It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:29 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 4 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Voodoo steel
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:54 pm 

I have a couple questions, one being when is the Kohetsu in HAP40 or Voodoo steel expected to be arriving? Secondly I am looking for a new gyuto for work as a prep cook. My current work lineup is a little bit shabby but I have a ringer or two.

MY current lineup is a MAC chef series 10' chef, MAC pro santoku which I actually love, a Kikuichi TKC 270 gyuto which is a bit long but I do love it as well cause it sharpens so easily, and finally I have an old Henckels paring knife cause I don't do much paring.

At home I have a Konosuke 240 Funayuki/Gyuto and I love the handle and feel but it is a little too expensive to take to work so I was wondering about getting a Kohetsu 240 in Aogami or in HAP40 if it is coming anytime soon. Also has anyone here checked out the Kaneshige gyutos because I just saw a post about those and was wondering if they are really worth it cause most of the time when I spend the extra money it pays off in one way or another whether it be grinds and edge geometry or ease of sharpening and overall feel. Thanks in advance for any advice!!!

Post subject: Re: Voodoo steel
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:44 pm 
Forum Moderator

I've not seen the Kaneshige's yet. They look like a good value...but can't help with specifics.

The Kohetsu AS is a very nice knife. Nice F&F, good geometry, etc.

HAP40, Mark will have to answer with any definitive answer on delivery.

Sorry, not much help....you're asking about a bunch of things that are very new or don't exist yet. :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:33 pm 

Adam Marr wrote:Sorry, not much help....you're asking about a bunch of things that are very new or don't exist yet. :)

Yeah sorry I got a little too wordy and asked too many questions, lets make it simple.

1. When is the Kohetsu in HAP40 expected?

2. Would anyone recommend the Kohetsu in Aogami Super for a prep cook, and could someone possibly compare it to a Konosuke or other laser type knife?

3. Finally and the least important of the questions has anyone checked out the Kaneshige gyutos?

Adam, could you compare the Kohetsu to a Kono?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:11 pm 

Jwesly1 wrote:2. Would anyone recommend the Kohetsu in Aogami Super for a prep cook, and could someone possibly compare it to a Konosuke or other laser type knife?

I think aaronsgibson has used his for work and thought it held up nicely even with a poly board.

Kohetsu vs Konosuke- both in the same ballpark for lasers. Great blades, sharpen easy, hold an edge well. If the Kono is a 10, the Kohetsu is a 9, and that is only because the Kono FF is perfect. As far as the blades and cutting goes, they are equal IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:24 pm 

Los Altos wrote: ...If the Kono is a 10, the Kohetsu is a 9...

After using both, I can't say I disagree.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:01 pm 

Los Altos wrote:I think aaronsgibson has used his for work and thought it held up nicely even with a poly board.

Well I will be smacking into some poly boards, just not quite as fast or without hesitation the way Aaron Gibson wields a knife. I think you guys have me sold on 'er. Still just wondering about the mysterious HAP40.

MARK WHERE ARE YOU :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:09 pm 
Site Admin

Jwesly1 wrote:
Adam Marr wrote:Sorry, not much help....you're asking about a bunch of things that are very new or don't exist yet. :)

Yeah sorry I got a little too wordy and asked too many questions, lets make it simple.

1. When is the Kohetsu in HAP40 expected?

2. Would anyone recommend the Kohetsu in Aogami Super for a prep cook, and could someone possibly compare it to a Konosuke or other laser type knife?

3. Finally and the least important of the questions has anyone checked out the Kaneshige gyutos?

Adam, could you compare the Kohetsu to a Kono?

1. Still out about a month I think but I'm never sure.

2. Yes it would make a great line knife in the 210 version and a good prep knife in a longer version (the 240s and 270s are now in stock)

3. We just got the Kaneshige gyutos. The steel is pretty standard stainless stuff but the grinds and the finish on them is excellent.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:42 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'm not ignoring the request to compare....I'm waiting to get home tonight and look at both side by side.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:45 pm 

Well it is official, just bought the Kohetsu 240 in Aogami Super. Couldn't hold out for the HAP40, but the good news is a coworker of mine and fellow prep cook is looking for a gyuto so maybe I will get him interested in mine by letting him borrow it, sell it to him and get the HAP40 version. :twisted: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:50 pm 

By the way Adam I am still interested in your comparison because I think very highly of your opinions and insight. You might not remember but you recommended me my first actual Japanese knife which was a Kikuichi TKC which I absolutely love, but it is a 270 so I only break it out for big jobs that require a lot of blade length but trust me it has a valued place in my knife roll.

Page 1 of 4 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next